Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Exterior

Subaru Impreza Forum

New tyre recommendations please! And possibly wheels too....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2008, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

New tyre recommendations please! And possibly wheels too....

Looks like I need a new set of tyres (clipped a large stone lying next to the kerb on a roundabout, tyre wall now has a bulge the size of a 10 pence piece where it hit ).

I have a standard MY99 Turbo (16 inch alloys) which currently have Goodyear F1 Eagle's on all round.

Been looking at various tyres and have narrowed it to either replacing like with like, some Pirelli P-Zero Nero's or some Toyo's.

Anybody used any of the above and can advise what they thought?

I'm also toying with the idea of getting some new (or more correctly, second hand) alloys. Would there be any problems in increasing the size to 17 inch, I understand Prodrive recommended 16 inch as being the optimum size for performance on the classic, but there seem to be more 17 inch alloys for sale on Ebay etc!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2008, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Toyo T1R's or S's if still available
Yes go for 17" alloys make sure they are Scooby fitment with correct PCD and offset.

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 06 Feb 2008, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

17's are the balance between looks and performance, 18's destroy the handeling, 17's do slightly alter it but most people think look better than 16's.

also i wouldn't put pzero's on my classic even if they paid me, had them on my old scoob and they sucked, toyo's all the way.

bear in mind if you ask ten different people about tyres recomendations you'll prob get 10 different answers lol
Old 06 Feb 2008, 07:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
also i wouldn't put pzero's on my classic even if they paid me, had them on my old scoob and they sucked, toyo's all the way.

to be honest it all depends on the car and what sort of suspension its running or what the car's been designed to run on. i've run pirelli's on one car and thought they were rubbish but had em on a couple of subsequent cars and found them to be superb so that sort of judgement is bound to depend on the driver

for me, the best tyres i've had have been marshalls on the hot hatch that i had and goodyear eagle f1's on the scoob

Last edited by tom73; 06 Feb 2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06 Feb 2008, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Iv always sworn by toyo proxes t1-S although iv not had my scoob long enough to have them on that yet...
There pretty reasonably priced , dont wear tooooo fast and are great in the wet.
Old 07 Feb 2008, 09:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

I would recommend for a standard scooby if you can afford to change the rims move up to 17" to eliminate some tyre roll in hard cornering.

Falken 452 tyres have proved to be a very good buy for me..
http://www.subaru-impreza.org/bbs/sh...ad.php?t=42143

cheers
Angelo.
Old 07 Feb 2008, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
bear in mind if you ask ten different people about tyres recomendations you'll prob get 10 different answers lol
Totally agree with tidgy, depends on your driving style/suspension setup and just what youre used to.

Pirellis generally are a hard compound aswell so more roadnoise from ya tyres but will last longer, softer compounds grip better give the car a more pleasant drive as really low roadnoise but dont last as long-to be honest ive always been led to believe goodyear eagle f1`s are the best of both worlds i`d probably go for em again if you were happy with the drive.
Old 07 Feb 2008, 03:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Thanks for your help guys, at the moment I'm just running a totally standard MY99 Turbo with no suspension mods etc.

I'll only looking at second hand Impreza alloys to be honest, either on Ebay or maybe at a breaker's yrad if they're in good nick and have decent rubber on them.

It may actually be cheaper to get alloys with tyres like this than just replacing the tyres on my wheels, then I've also got the bonus of having a different set of alloys from standard.
Old 07 Feb 2008, 10:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Further to the above, seen what look a decent set of 2002 WRX 17" alloys on Ebay with allegedly fairly new Goodyear F1 Eagle tyres all round.

Would I be right in thinking these would fit my MY99 Turbo? (Obviously with necessary spacers etc.)
Old 09 Feb 2008, 02:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Thought they`d fit straight on, seen bugeye wrx rims before on classics an just assumed they were a direct fit-petes ya man on this one-bugeyes are out of my comfort zone knowledge wise,ive had very little to do with em.
Old 09 Feb 2008, 09:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by chur1996 View Post
Would I be right in thinking these would fit my MY99 Turbo?

Yes. The Classic has the same stud pattern 5x100.

Old 09 Feb 2008, 01:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

The WRX wheels do go straight on.

I bought a set for my last classic Impreza direct from Subaru after someone upgraded them on their new later model car.

No probs at all..
Old 10 Feb 2008, 10:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Thanks for all your replies in relation to the wheels I saw on Ebay, unfortunately events overtook me slightly!

While driving to work on Friday morning the handling started to deteriorate, needless to say I couldn't wait for the Ebay auction to end and had to get a new set of tyres on straightaway!

Managed to duck out of work for half an hour and get a few prices, best I found were Kwik Fit (!) who supplied and fitted a pair of Pirelli P Zero Nero's for £200!

I know Tidgy didn't recommend them but I fancied some to be honest and couldn't miss that price. Everywhere else were quoting £240 - £260, the best price I got was from Black circles but even they were wanting £230.

Only done a few hundred miles in the dry so far, but the back certainly feels more controlled and grippy than it did with the Goodyear's on.