Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Exterior

Subaru Impreza Forum

Looking at 93 subaru impreza

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Aug 2007, 04:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Looking at 93 subaru impreza

Hey everyone, Just thought i would start off with that.
im looking at a 1993 Subaru impreza lx or gl. I know some about it, but want opinions scene I am really new to Subaru's. I have just one question and can it be made AWD with just a swap out and in, or more.

Last edited by NorthernLightS; 26 Aug 2007 at 04:16 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2007, 06:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLightS View Post
I have just one question and can it be made AWD with just a swap out and in, or more.
Hi.

Hope this answers your question.

Q: "I have a FWD Subaru, can I convert it to AWD?"
A: As previously stated, Subarus are very interchangeable. If your car came with an EJ series engine, then any other engine components from an EJ series engine will drop into your chassis. Most of the time, you can't slowly convert to AWD; many of the components require the removal and/or installation of other components to work.

Q: "What components are needed to convert a FWD Subaru to AWD? Also read as 'Transmission swap technicalities'"
A: A new transmission will be required. Along with the new transmission comes the front diff, center diff, and tailshaft. You must also get the corresponding driveline for the transmission (side note here, if you are merely swapping one AWD transmission for another the MT typically shares one driveline between all other MTs and the ATs share another driveline; the STi 6-speed uses an AT driveline). There are many rear diff options, and any of them can be used as long as the final drive matches the final drive of the rear diff of the donor car the transmission came from. Front axles should be interchangeable, but newer axles are thicker. CV strength has remained the same and are not a weak point. Rear open diffs can be found on most Subaru models. Rear LSD s came on some Legacy Turbos, Some SVXs, 2000-2001 2.5RSs, and 2002+ WRXs. While final drive ratios vary, the axle splines do not. Your diff choice governs which rear axles are to be used. You will either need rear axles from an open diff Legacy or GC/GF/GM Impreza for an open diff or rear LSD axles from a 2000-2001 Impreza 2.5RS (ask for axles from 05/2000+ to be safe) for a rear LSD. If you are converting from AT to MT or viceversa, you will need the corresponding ECU since the AT ECU expects a TCU signal. You can spoof it as some have done.

"What else is needed?" Along with the basic driveline components, you are going to need most of the rear suspension and mounts from the transmission back. This includes the transmission crossmember, rear diff crossmember (and all in between), AWD gastank with driveline hump, struts and springs, AWD knuckles, a plethora of bushings, with the possibility of lateral links, swaybar, and trailing arms also being needed. Your best bet is to find an entire donor car that can be stripped. If that is not an option, you will be, as beachbum has said, 'nickle-and-dimed to death'.

Old 26 Aug 2007, 08:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLightS View Post
Hey everyone, Just thought i would start off with that.
im looking at a 1993 Subaru impreza lx or gl. I know some about it, but want opinions scene I am really new to Subaru's. I have just one question and can it be made AWD with just a swap out and in, or more.
Save all that agro and get a AWD car in the first place... Must work out cheaper than converting ???

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 26 Aug 2007, 06:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Ya, but im picking up for $750. I have looked at the car and it clean inside and out. The only problem is the flywheel broke in two pices. I know a couple people with AWD rolling chacies hanging around, but the chassie are all rotted. So I am picking up the car. A. cause its cheep, B. good plat form to work off.
Old 26 Aug 2007, 08:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

if your just using the shell out of the fwd then will make no difference, the shell and mounting points are exactly the same, so can just switch out the components off the awd to the fwd shell
Old 27 Aug 2007, 04:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Yeah thats really all i wanted to know. But the bigger question is will it all bolt up or will there be welding needed? I just am plain on useing this car for auto cross and rally. I have owned a subaru before( subaru justy), and had fun with it. Hoping to have more fun with this!!
Old 27 Aug 2007, 08:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

should be a bolt job as far as im aware
Old 27 Aug 2007, 03:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I don't know if it makes a difference that im in the Us and the car is usdm. I was told on another site that it makes a huge difference. We'll if thats the case looks like a couple nights and a couple days of wrenching. Lets do it!
Old 27 Aug 2007, 04:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Found this AWD conversion done on a 1990 Legacy.
Quote:

The majority of the parts should be the same if not very similar for the Imprezas
Link:http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/swap/parts.html

Old 27 Aug 2007, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Ok thanks we'll i am going to start doing it and will probably make a how-to on how to do this for other people to be able to. The help was really good thanks to all for help
Old 27 Aug 2007, 10:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Got two more question can i use the rear end out of a 99 2.5 rs and the trans out of a 97 AWD impreza? The parts car i was going to get parts off got towed(my friends dad) cause it was "taking up too much space". So im trying to work with what parts he has in his garage. I am also wonder if i should just swap the motor while im in there. Should I Yes? No? O the motor would be a EJ20 w/ turbo. Came out of a 95 impreza ( motor was swapped into it)