Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Exterior

Subaru Impreza Forum

Up-pipe replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Apr 2007, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Up-pipe replacement

About a week ago I started to notice the sound of an obvious exhaust leak at the front of the car but couldn't really tell with the echoing exactly where it was coming from. Having disassembled most of the car at the weekend it would now appear the leak is from the up-pipe.

There are clearly several options but my concern is if I select one of the de-cat replacement pipes will this cause the engine management light to come on or any other problems. I currently have standard downpipe but s/s de-cat right through to 'Scoobyworld - RaceBox' back box.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2007, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

The de-cat replacement up-pipe must have a EGT bung for the exhaust temperature sensor.

Up-pipe Installation Instructions: http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...=&threadid=194

Old 30 Apr 2007, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

First of all thanks for the quick reply.

I have seen these and similar with the sensor bung

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-STi-UP-PIPE-EXHAUST-DECAT-PIPE_W0QQitemZ220105876825QQihZ012QQcategoryZ38786 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but wasnít sure. Not saying this is the particular one Iíd go for but itís similar. Just didnít want to get one and then find the wee orange light on the dash is permanently on. I am planning to get a sport cat downpipe later but not until I can get it re-mapped too. This up-pipe business is unfortunately now down to necessity. So really looking for something that will just go in place of the burst one without any adverse side effects - de-cat would be a bonus. Thing is my mate has one of these flex up-pipes with a bung but was telling me it would cause the above problems and was only for the STi.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

The 02 sensor is in the exhaust manifold so you only need one bung in up-pipe.

Link:http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6649

Because the 02 sensor is in the exhaust manifold I don't think you will get the light problem.

Though i'm not 100% certain

Old 01 May 2007, 07:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Found this info on the EGT bung.

Do I need an EGT bung? No. The EGT bung is there for one purpose. It houses the EGT probe that monitors the exhaust temperature so the engine heat does not break down the catalytic converter element if the EGT becomes too hot. Since your new uppipe has no cat, you don't need an EGT probe.

My uppipe has an EGT bung, should I plug it or reinstall the stock EGT sensor? There is a chance down the road that EGT probe could burn up and pieces of it could be ingested by the turbo. Plugging it is the best option. You will need a M12x1.25 bolt. They can be tricky to find and many go to auto parts stores and ask for this type of oil drain bolt. True hardware stores are also a good place to find these. You may consider a jam nut if the bolt is too long, or you could trim it down to fit better. High temp thread locking compound is also an option.

All STi models have a catless uppipe.