Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Exterior

Subaru Impreza Forum

Looking for an STI 8/9 rear spoiler for a 2005 WRX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Mar 2006, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Question Looking for an STI 8/9 rear spoiler for a 2005 WRX

Hi,
I'm new to this site so please excuse if I'm posting this thread in the wrong place or asking a question which has already been answered.

I'm looking for a large rear spoiler to replace the standard one fitted to my 2005 WRX. Ideally something like an STI8/9 replica.
I've trawled through loads of web sites but the more I look the more confused I get. I'm specifically looking for something thats relatively cheep (but good quality) and fits the existing WRX bolt holes (I know most require additional holes as well).
http://www.revolution.eu.com/ have an STI 8/9 replica for 199.99. It's unpainted and made from injection moulded P.U.
Has anybody any experience of this spoiler and if so is it any good?
Is injected moulded P.U a good material for rear spoilers, I've heard some fibre glass spoilers crack?
It sounds reasonably priced but I don't want to buy something that's poor quality.

www.scoobyworld.co.uk have a few other options. They are more expensive and I don't think they fit the existing WRX spoiler bolt holes.

Large rear spoilers must be a fairly common requirement so does anybody have any good experience of alternatives?

I'm also looking for a body shop in Essex (near Southend/Chelmsford) to fit the spolier if anybody has any recommendations.

Thanks in advance for any responses
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2006, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX300
Hi,
I'm new to this site so please excuse if I'm posting this thread in the wrong place or asking a question which has already been answered.

I'm looking for a large rear spoiler to replace the standard one fitted to my 2005 WRX. Ideally something like an STI8/9 replica.
I've trawled through loads of web sites but the more I look the more confused I get. I'm specifically looking for something thats relatively cheep (but good quality) and fits the existing WRX bolt holes (I know most require additional holes as well).
http://www.revolution.eu.com/ have an STI 8/9 replica for 199.99. It's unpainted and made from injection moulded P.U.
Is injected moulded P.U a good material for rear spoilers, I've heard some fibre glass spoilers crack?
It sounds reasonably priced but I don't want to buy something that's poor quality.

Hi

Quote: Johnboy Saturday thread.

Afternoon all - hope everyone is well - ordered a V9 tall rear spoiler (Prodrive copy??) from Revolution yesterday - should be here early next week.

PM, Johnboy hope he can help you.

Old 28 Mar 2006, 06:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Smile

Johnboy,
Be very interested to hear what you think of it when it arrives. I'm interested in the quality and how difficult it is to fit.
I'm still struggling to find a recommended local bodyshop which will spray and fit a spoiler. A couple I've spoken to aren't interested unless it's a genuine manufacturers (Subaru) version. They say they've had bad experiences with copies. I know there are good and bad spoliers out there and I'm trying to find a good one although it's proving a lot more difficult than I thought.

thanks
Old 31 Mar 2006, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Wink Try and go genuine.

Hi, I was lucky enough to get a genuine STI 8/9 spoiler off e-bay for my 05 WRX. I paid 360 for it and it cost me a further 300 to get it sprayed and fitted but I still feel that was a better option than a cheaper replica.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX300
Hi,

www.scoobyworld.co.uk have a few other options. They are more expensive and I don't think they fit the existing WRX spoiler bolt holes.

Large rear spoilers must be a fairly common requirement so does anybody have any good experience of alternatives?

I'm also looking for a body shop in Essex (near Southend/Chelmsford) to fit the spolier if anybody has any recommendations.

Old 07 Apr 2006, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

you could have a look at http://www.drmotorsport.co.uk/ i have read many times they do great replica spoilers and also come painted , so you can pop it straight on
Old 07 Apr 2006, 08:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks, order one from DRMotorsport yesterday after seeing loads of recommendations.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 07:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Being a poorly paid apprentice, i went for the cheap and chearful EBAY option, it was described as good quality, STi replica... well it isn't an exact replica, its quite obviously different, quality aint great either, but for what i paid for it, i cant complain.
Old 14 Jan 2008, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Smile

I would be very interested to hear how you get on with the spoiler from DRmotorsport, I want an STI spoiler for my 04 wrx. DR's cost 300 painted and Scoobyworld 350 painted, anybody know which is the best quality? All the best, Mick.
Old 15 Jan 2008, 08:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by madey View Post
I would be very interested to hear how you get on with the spoiler from DRmotorsport, I want an STI spoiler for my 04 wrx. DR's cost 300 painted and Scoobyworld 350 painted, anybody know which is the best quality? All the best, Mick.
Mick,
Didn't have a lot of luck with the spoiler from DRMotorsport. After around 3 months the top wing cracked. DRM were very good about it and sent a replacement top half which I fitted (real pain) and sent the original back. They later confirmed it had been returned to the manufacturer and had suffered structural failure.
The replacement top wing was on for around 2 months before it also cracked and the paint started to craze. DRM again were very good and offered to replace or refund. I originally agreed to a complete replacement but after around 6 months of chasing I eventually got a refund. This time they said there was nothing wrong with the spoiler and charged me a re-stocking fee of 50+ I was also out of pocket with all the shipping costs.
Lots of people are really happy with DRM (read the posts on scoobynet) but in my case I had bad experiences. I wasn't impressed with the paint quality on the original or replace bits either.

I have since been lucky enough to get hold of a genuine STI spoiler from a guy on Scoobynet who wrote his car off. It cost me 260 + a further 170 to have it resprayed from black to blue(to match my car) + fitted. Not much more than a replica and much better quality. I certainly wouldn't buy a replica again. Trouble is genuine spoilers are hard to come by second hand so good luck if you decide to go this route.

cheers
Old 15 Jan 2008, 11:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Yeh totally agree with the above post about replicas. There are crap and slightly different and slightly bent and they always crack. I know I've got one but was such a bargain and was the same colour

But I'm affraid I will be replacing it soon with the real deal
Old 16 Jan 2008, 03:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Smile

Sorry to hear about your spoiler, I had one off DRmotorsport for my classic, when it arrived it had bubble wrap marks in the paint work.They told me the marks would polish out but of course they never did! After about a year small cracks started to apear, so if anyone has a genuine subaru one in WR blue. All the best, Mick.