Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Exterior

Subaru Impreza Forum

boot leak! help please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2006, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

boot leak! help please.

found a damp patch a month ago whilst cleaning out, didn't think much of it, have checked again and the problem is getting worse. the car MY1999 classic. i'm sure i've read a previous thread about this model (or there abouts) being prone to some kind of leak in the boot area. the dampness in question is found under my rubber boot mat on the left as you look in, there has also been a small amount of water gathering in the spare wheel well. have checked the boot seal itself which looks fine, and will investigate further tomorrow after pulling out some of the trim inside. have also felt bits of dampness just under one of the hinge areas so it would silly to rule out a seal prob just yet.
can anyone suggest if there is a common fault to look for? or areas to check? i
Old 14 Jan 2006, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Probably leaking around the rear light. The light has a neaprene seal between it and the bodywork. The light may just need tightening up.

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2006, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterUK300
Probably leaking around the rear light. The light has a neaprene seal between it and the bodywork. The light may just need tightening up.
cheers pete, this certainly makes a lot of sense to where the damp patch is, will check this out as soon as my hangover dies down!
Old 16 Jan 2006, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

As per Petes comment - it'l be the rear light seals. I had this very problem with a previous Scoob. Best thing to do is remove lights - reapply the sticky stuff and refit.

Job done
Old 16 Jan 2006, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

***Note on the sticky stuff! I am led to believe its VERY sticky and sometimes people think there i smore holding the lights down... Just pull hard
Old 16 Jan 2006, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

hopefully all the above will solve the problem, just need some time and daylight to do the job now. will report back when looked into. cheers boys.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 09:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Just last week took my Subaru 2002 model back to dealer because of the same problem.They told me it was the boot seal itself leaking and they have done a temp repair which seems to be working but I have only had the car back for 4 days.When the new seal is fitted and if it fixes the problem I will let you know.I hope this is of some help to you.
Old 19 Jan 2006, 06:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Have you had a different spoiler fitted mate? My 2000 classic boot leaks like a seive when i jet wash it and found it coming through the holes where the new RB5 spoiler was fitted.
Old 19 Jan 2006, 10:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
mal
Senior Scooby

Have you changed your light cluster at some time m8....

Before i bought my scooby it had lexus lights on it, "personally" i don't like them, so my mate took them off for me before i bought it....guess what....it leaked.

The water was coming from the light cluster. The seal was not tight enough.
A mate told me to seal around the lights with clear waterproof sealant....only a temporary cure till i find a more permanent one....but it worked for me....no more paddling pools in my spare wheel well
Old 20 Jan 2006, 04:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal22
Have you changed your light cluster at some time m8....

Before i bought my scooby it had lexus lights on it, "personally" i don't like them, so my mate took them off for me before i bought it....guess what....it leaked.

The water was coming from the light cluster. The seal was not tight enough.
A mate told me to seal around the lights with clear waterproof sealant....only a temporary cure till i find a more permanent one....but it worked for me....no more paddling pools in my spare wheel well
no mods as yet to the rear body work, will hopefully have time to check things out properly tomorrow, but two last posts are definately food for thought, thanks.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 06:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
mal
Senior Scooby

Hope you get it sorted m8
Old 20 Jan 2006, 10:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

When I had a leak on my UK classic, popped the light off , and clearly the sealant on the back of the light had failed. Cleaned it all off which took ages, put a bead of Wickes roof and gutter sealant on it and put it back. 4 years later it still aint leaking any water.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 05:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Update! finally had a proper look today and it looks like it was the spoiler. the spoiler was slightly loose on one side and there was corrosion on the bolt and dampness, so i presume that the water is trickling down the wall of the boot onto the base. the rear light area looks totally uneffected and dry. however, when trying to tighten one of the bolts it came apparent that the bolt had been severed. i'm just hoping that no chavs have been tampering with the spoiler as there is also a small paint chip next to the losened spoiler area, like a prizing mark.
i removed the spoiler and the snaped bolt was half sitting in the spoiler itself which is a sealed unit so i cannot remove the bolt from inside the hole. if i pushed the broken bolt into the spoiler it would no doubt leave me with a rattling noise so the only thing left to do is use sealant to restick the spoiler back into place. the car is currently without the spoiler with duct tape covering the holes to keep out the water! my local subaru dealer said they would use sealant also, so this seems the only way to go. once the spoiler is sealed on then it will probably never come off again. so what do i do? its the mid height sti 4 spoiler that comes as standard. should i go ahead and seal, or think about buying a different spoiler as this will be the only chance i will ever get, and will be removable if needed? anyone have any thoughts on what sealant to use?