Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Exterior

Subaru Impreza Forum

Condensation in bottom of rear window

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Aug 2014, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Condensation in bottom of rear window

Hi everyone, Wee problem, I get heavy condensation in the bottom corners of my rear window, generally when its raining, I would actually call it heavy condensation, it looks more like a leak. The window came out last year to do the rust on the corner panels (at the top edges of the boot immediately on the bottom corners of the rear window... whew) I dont recall any problems as the car was in a carport. Now Im parking on the street, and its winter, every morning Im poking a rag at the affected areas ( the left and right areas of the parcel shelf) to wipe the water/condensation away.

The window seal is fine apparently....

Anyway any members have any ideas on the course to rectify.

thanks in advance.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2014, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Condensation in bottom of rear window

condensation is typically when the air in the car is stale, or it cant breath, pollen/cabin filters tend to cause this when they are old,
not sure this will be relevant for your rear, but if the boot is leaking then it may cause the issue you have also.
Old 04 Aug 2014, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks Bob... I was just looking at another Impreza site, It appears there are some drainage tubes that are, or can be disconnected or 'kinked' causing the water from the roof drainage channels to not drain correctly, anyone have any thoughts.

Just to note I always drive with the windows down a bit.

Ive pulled the bungs from the spare tyre well out to get some air circulating around. I havent mucked around with the parcel shelf area either, so im still a bit mystified.

Remember my car is the first model sedan of the imprezas
Old 04 Aug 2014, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Thanks Bob... I was just looking at another Impreza site, It appears there are some drainage tubes that are, or can be disconnected or 'kinked' causing the water from the roof drainage channels to not drain correctly, anyone have any thoughts.

Remember my car is the first model sedan of the imprezas
Hi see my thread it has a photo of where the drain holes are for the early impreza thanks go to bugeye_bob for the pic. Even though the pic is a wagon the holes are in the same place.

click here >>>> drain holes for rear arches on classic?
Old 04 Aug 2014, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks Alunian, Yep I smell a rat, I think someone at some point hasnt reconnected somthing, I cant see water in the wells (Where the jack is etc) but I cant see any other reson for it, what measures did you take when you were sorting out your problem?, i.e. what did you remove to get to your drainage areas, I take it the drainage isnt accessable on the inside of the car?

I only have small areas at the bottom corners of the rear windshield where there is water/ heavy condensation and it dosent matter if the car is parked facing uphill or downhill.

Thanks again
Old 04 Aug 2014, 09:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

See this link on an American Impreza site

Condensation in the rear windshield - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
Old 04 Aug 2014, 09:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Condensation in the rear windshield - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
Old 04 Aug 2014, 10:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Thanks Alunian, Yep I smell a rat, I think someone at some point hasnt reconnected somthing, I cant see water in the wells (Where the jack is etc) but I cant see any other reson for it, what measures did you take when you were sorting out your problem?, i.e. what did you remove to get to your drainage areas, I take it the drainage isnt accessable on the inside of the car?

I only have small areas at the bottom corners of the rear windshield where there is water/ heavy condensation and it dosent matter if the car is parked facing uphill or downhill.

Thanks again
My problem was water in the spare wheel well. The roof drainage holes are located under the car, assuming your car isn't lowered you can actually get to them by sliding under from the rear (make sure you have something behind the wheels first) its on both sides, look for some big plastic clips roughly inline where your rear bump ends, be careful removing them as they are fragile one of mine snapped and wouldn't go back on, also you'll be surprised how much dirty water comes out of it.

Though I do have small beads of water forming around the bottom corners of the rear window now ever since I had the window replaced, but the parcel shelf and the boot is dry.
Old 01 Dec 2014, 06:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Okay further to my original post, the heavy condensation is actually caused by moisture from rust around the seal of the rear windscreen, and rust on the aperture below the windows. I took my car into a recommeded renowned panel beater/ welder/ painter, here in Wellington, and he asked me, to keep my costs down, to strip out the rear seats back, including all liners, remove the wiper and wiper motor, speakers - etc etc. I soon discovered that the rust I wanted originally removed and plated (which is above the left rear corner channel, basically the triangular piece immediately below the corner edge of the rear window), had crept up the steel and there are hints of it around the boot trunk rubber, and under the panel parcel shelf when the compressed sheet upholstery parcel tray was removed. I'm hoping to post some photos on the site of the work.

So if there's condensation in or around your Impreza even if it's a newer model, there is a good chance the car has the rot... If you like your car get it looked at and fixed by a reputable panel beater.

Wellington is a harbour city, hilly, and bushy but there is a lot of salt in the air, hence the problem.

Some would say "Get a new car", no, I like my car, my mechanics swear by it, and it's in great condition. Okay it's an 1993 1800 AWD HX non turbo with RX bits ( they weren't popular in the UK), but when it was the computer mid year at my garage it was down 2% engine power, from its original specs.

Hopefully I'll get some photos up.

Last edited by Kiwi; 01 Dec 2014 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01 Dec 2014, 10:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

being honest 90% of the time on Newages its lazy servicing and people havent changed the cabin Filter.
Old 02 Dec 2014, 08:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Not in my case. More like a combination of a slight design fault on the part of the vehicle manufacturer, plus the age of the car, and grime getting up under the corner of the windows trim. I'd be interested to hear about other classic owners up to MY99 Impreza saloon cars, who have found an incling of rust in the top corners of the boot apertures.