Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Engine Bay

Subaru Impreza Forum

dip stick gives same measurement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2011, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

dip stick gives same measurement

Hi, this doesn't really bother me but does anyone have this problem with there dip stick in the classic impreza which keeps giving the same measurement every time even when the engine oil lamp come on.

The oil is never level on the stick either its like a snakes forked tongue. Its been like that since I bought it in February 2010.

When I took it to Revolution for engine and gearbox oil change I remember watching the mechanic doing the engine oil and the look on his face after putting 4 litres in and taking a measurement was WTF. The mechanic didnt mention it afterwards.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2011, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Re: dip stick gives same measurement

I guess nobody has this problem, when the engine oil light comes on and you take a measurement it still show as if there is half the oil still there but the oil on the dip stick looks like a snakes forked tongue, it even stays the same when I fill it up.
Old 19 Jan 2011, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

The oil light shouldn't come on. It oil pressure not level. Do you wipe the dip stick and reinsert it for a correct Reading. Are you sure you have enough in. At the same time don't overfill it
Old 19 Jan 2011, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles View Post
The oil light shouldn't come on. It oil pressure not level. Do you wipe the dip stick and reinsert it for a correct Reading. Are you sure you have enough in. At the same time don't overfill it
Thanks for correcting me about the oil light. Yes I wipe the dip stick clean every time before taking a reading.
Strange thing is the oil light seems to come on roughly every 2000 miles (thats how long 4 litres seems to last).

A while back the oil light continuously flashed and when I took a measurement the stick was dry so I put 4 litres in and the light went out. I only ever put 4 litres in at a time.

this is what the manual states, the part in bold is what I did:
If this light comes on when engine is running, it may indicate that the engine oil pressure is low and the lubricating system is not working properly.
If the light comes on while driving or does not go out after engine starts, stop the engine at 1st safe opportunity and check the engine oil level. If oil level is low. add oil immediately.
If the engine oil is at the proper level but the light remains on, contact your nearest subaru dealer immediately.
Old 19 Jan 2011, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

You are risking your engine. The oil level should be checked at least once a month. The level should always be between the marks on the dipstick.
If your engine running when the light comes on then you have no lubrication and parts are as good as metal to metal and will wear out very quickly. I hope you haven't damaged anything already
Old 19 Jan 2011, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

I check the oil a lot more regular than once month. Could there be a blockage where the bottom of the dip stick reaches.
Old 19 Jan 2011, 10:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by alunian View Post
Strange thing is the oil light seems to come on roughly every 2000 miles (thats how long 4 litres seems to last).
Holy shit, I think you have a problem mate. Any signs of a leak ?
Old 19 Jan 2011, 10:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

The engine is fine, sounds quiet when idling and at low speeds (still hear the burble) no abnormal sounds or drama when accelerating hard, it pulls very smoothly.

There is no leaks at all.
Old 19 Jan 2011, 10:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Have you noticed it burning oil at all. 4 ltrs every 2000 miles is excessive, all you have to do is change the filter and thats an oil change
Old 19 Jan 2011, 10:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

could be a tubby oil seal on it's way out..
Old 19 Jan 2011, 10:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

no its not burning oil. Revolution changed the oil and filter and straight away I noticed the difference in the cars throttle response and I got more mpg, even though they said that the old oil was clear.
Old 19 Jan 2011, 10:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

This is what I'm thinking, there is def an underlying problem there with that oil usage.
Old 19 Jan 2011, 10:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Have to agree with matt that's alot of oil!
Old 19 Jan 2011, 10:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

roughly how many miles do you lot get from 4 to 4.5 litres of oil?
Old 19 Jan 2011, 10:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

I can do 5k and still be ok on the levels. It's got to be going somewhere fella.