Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Engine Bay

Subaru Impreza Forum

few teething problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2011, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

few teething problems

finally got the car put back together, insured and taxed now i got a few teething problems

i got a oil leak which i cant see where it coming from. but if you look under the car you can see it dripping from behind the sump only when the engine is running. and hard to see from top of the engine, any ideas where from?

car cut out today in middle of crossroads as i was turning right and wodn't start back up. what happened was the revs dropped really low and just cut out and wodnt start back up. (but was turning over) until battery died ,
So i phoned my friend to get my spare battery, when he arrived we connected it on and still no joy, wodn't fire up. had a look round engine bay and everything seemed fine so tryed bumping the car off and started right away with a bit of a splutter but few seconds later was perfectly fine again

it was its first run out for 3month after changing the injectors, fmic, service parts like air,oil,fuel filters, spark plugs ect,

but the car felt sluggish compaired to before, is this because of me putting the bigger 440cc injectors in its overfueling ? and was this the reason why the car cut out, any ideas welcome guys dosnt want to kill the car but want it running perfect before the esl daughterboard is fitted and mapped

cheers

chris
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2011, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: few teething problems

has it been mapped for the mods?

driving it with bigger injectors, front mount and other mods could do serious damage to the engine if not mapped for it, it could have suffered from flooding with pertrol.

as far as the oil leak, sounds like a gasket issue, was the engine rebuilt?
Old 11 Jan 2011, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

not mapped yet mate, only been 5miles with the mods and parked it back up,

oil leak just occurred, but thinking about it i recently fitted temp sensor and oil sender, i cant see it leaking from the sender thats behind the alternater, but quick look cant see the temp sensor as its dark. (so that could be a possibility), so maybe its possible gasket

engine hasn't been touched as it was fine before

what damage can i cause for running with these mods without the map?

what oil pressure should i be looking at when car running as i have something to compare mine too, car gets to temp fine and dosn't over heat

so basically if i get the esl daughter board fiited, and mapped it should run fine? i also got an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with gauge ready to fit but are these needed?

my air filter is consently sucking air like its out of fashion through the cone filter but this has always done it, this a problem with the MAF sensor?
Old 11 Jan 2011, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

just to note, i checked the oil and theres very strong smell of fuel from the dip stick, how does the fuel mix with the oil ?
Old 11 Jan 2011, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

short version can fry the engine, mapper will be able to identify any issue when its mapped, thast the best way to go with it.

sounds like if it was fine before might indeed be the new sensor points so give them a check.

fuel will mix with oil if its running to rich.

oil pressure is anywhere from 2.5 to 4 bar idle, 5.5 up to about 6.5 when driving.
Old 12 Jan 2011, 10:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

oh my god what of a night!!!

firstly i started on my car by taking off the temp sensor and adapter but no leak was coming from there. but noticed a clip that wasn't put back on , on black oil pipe coming from the block, so i got it put on and thought i solved the problem so put everything together, and put fresh oil and filter in engine. made sure everything is fine and started her up. everything was perfect whilst just leaving it on tickover. so i thought i take it for a little drive round the estate taking it easy. when got back oil was pouring again from under the car and dumped basically the 4.5litres of fresh oil out of engine. so shut off engine immediately. checked dip stick which was empty. and tryed again looking for the leak. all i can see is oil inbetween the turbo and throttlebody area of the block.

tomorrow i try to take off the air intake section and intercooler pipes see if i can find any split pipes

oil pressure was around 40psi standstill and whilst driving was just under 80psi so yeah seems about right

what your ideas what it may be and what to do next , cheers
Old 13 Jan 2011, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

realy need to see about getting it mapped to identify if its mechanical or a map issue as far as the running of it.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 02:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Z3p
Fresh Scooby

running of it id say it was your fuel pressure regulator running rich and needs setting up as i had the exsact same proplem.and couldnt get it just right like i think yours is.i messed about with it for days trying to set it up and had no luck
so in the end i just took it to my local garage and they set it a;ll up for me and now it runs a treat cost me 55 and was worth evry penny hope this helps!
Old 17 Jan 2011, 07:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to dynamix

I'd say get the mechanical issues/leaks fixed before taking it to a mapper - they wont thank you too much if the car is in an unmappable state Also worth checking all coil packs for cracks and replacing where necessary and also fitting new plugs (gapped to 0.6mm)

The car is running massively rich with the bigger injectors and desperately needs mapping to get the fueling right for those let alone the fmic changes. It will never run properly until mapped.

As far as the fuel pressure reg is concerned, why fit bigger injectors then fit a fuel pressure regulator to turn the injector flow down to what was in there before - a complete waste of money and time.
Moderator Authorised Advertiser
Old 17 Jan 2011, 09:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

ever since put new battery on, car starts and runs all the time with no problems but under power as the mods and no remap yet

this oil leak is pain in the ass, its throws out the entire oil out of the engine and cant get my head around it. it was smoking from the back of the engine around the downpipe area , and you can see it dripping like hell underneath the car. but no signs from looking over the engine.

i been researching on the forum and could be possible rocker cover gasket, crank oil seal, how could tell between the two leaks ? , also could see oil just behind the cam belt cover front of engine

any ideas be very much appreciated , thanks for your input lads
Old 17 Jan 2011, 10:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to dynamix

turbo drain pipe kinked or split ? or just plain missing or the clips missing?

you will find it underneath the turbo
Moderator Authorised Advertiser