Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Engine Bay

Subaru Impreza Forum

new walbro pump & car wont run rite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Dec 2010, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Z3p
Fresh Scooby

new walbro pump & car wont run rite

Hi,iv got a 97 Subaru Impreza 2.0 sport and have recently just had to buy a new pump as old one broke.so iv bought a new walbro pump GSS342 it was a direct replacement i just used the filter off my old pump and the rubber to sit it into the frame.now the car will start evrytime with a little throttle but its running like its off a pot or 2 and wont rev

iv checked the fuel plugs leads ect and followed the guide but as i say it just wont run rite. onlything i can think off is it could be over fueling?? would this cause the problems im having?

any help would be great
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Z3p; 31 Dec 2010 at 04:20 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2010, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: new walbro pump & car wont run rite

Your fuel filter might be blocked. Maybe you got a load of dirty petrol which wrecked the old pump too.
Old 31 Dec 2010, 08:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Z3p
Fresh Scooby

Hi,shambles i checked the filter abd cleaned it just before i fitted the new pump.iv checked its getting fuel ok and plugs ect are wet and fuel is getting to the engine,iv also checked all plugs pipes ect for leaks or for been loose an all seems ok i also checked the timeing incase it had sliped.only thing i can think of is it mite be over fueling? it will start evry time with a little throttle but will not rev and not go over 1k revs and sounds like its only running on 2 pots.
Old 01 Jan 2011, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Are you sure thats the right pump for your car ?
Old 01 Jan 2011, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Z3p
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
Are you sure thats the right pump for your car ?
well i gave them my year and make ect and thats what they gave me.but yeah its the right one.iv foundout what the problem was

it was my fuel filter

as the old stock pump or the Walbro GSS341, have a difference between these two pumps as the GSS342 inlet is in-line with the outlet and the GSS341 and stock pump inlet is rotated 180 degrees (opposite the outlet)

so i tryed the new filter i got with the new pump and it worked.so i took it back off and have just used abit of pipe to join the old filter to the pump and turned it round and now it works a treat

Thanks again for the help guys. next job is fitting the momo wheel with air bag.