Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Engine Bay

Subaru Impreza Forum

gears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Dec 2010, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

gears

hi boys ive just had a strange prob i was on the way home all was fine when 2 over take a car put my foot down and i hit what i fort was the limater then changed to 4th and it grinded thort all was fine then tryed 2 change gear and gearbox was like it was seesed up could only get 2ng but was very hard clutch is still working fine and it was making a funny rattaling sound from front passenger side so when got home turned car off went inside to get a torch opend the bonnet and looked underneath couldnt c anythin rong realy then i started it up again and played with the gearstick and it started to go loose again and now i can get all gears easy as it was b4 but still think its making the noise but not sure as not drove it properly very strange some help would be great what do u think it could of bin
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2010, 11:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: gears

Is oil level ok in gearbox?
Old 23 Dec 2010, 01:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

'The Pilot' Ed mentioned about this before sure he tell ya
Old 23 Dec 2010, 08:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

sounds like you've scared/shocked the box,i've done it to mine,i know others that have done it to theirs,it comes from hammering/quick shifting the gears too hard and much from cold,never come accross one that has rattled,as KungLao has mentioned,check your oil levels..
Old 23 Dec 2010, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

rattle sounds like a stripped tooth to me, box might be locking due to floaty bit of metal. thats worst case though.

p.s. if its only 1 or two teeth you prob wont notice it much
Old 23 Dec 2010, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

well i drained oil 2day there was a bit of metal flakes but not much found 1 tiny lump of metal 2 filled oil back up and still the same noise when drivin i can get all gears but not 3rd and when stationry with clutch out it makes a funny noise but when put it on it gose would the thrust bearing do this with all the`s simtems
Old 23 Dec 2010, 07:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillthomas View Post
well i drained oil 2day there was a bit of metal flakes but not much found 1 tiny lump of metal 2 filled oil back up and still the same noise when drivin i can get all gears but not 3rd and when stationry with clutch out it makes a funny noise but when put it on it gose would the thrust bearing do this with all the`s simtems
Yes that would be the release 'thrust' bearing when you push clutch in it goes away then when clutch pedal out you get the noise, take the intercooler off the car look under the black rubber boot where release fork is the slave cyl onto this take the black booth out and look down at thrust bearing see if anything a miss
Old 23 Dec 2010, 07:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

ok thanks mate i hope its sumin like that and not box nakerd