Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Engine Bay

Subaru Impreza Forum

Loosing water under boost.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2009, 01:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Damien
Loosing water under boost.

Hi guys, well I've encountered my first problem, I just hope it isn't the first of many.

Whilst out driving earlier I noticed steam coming from the front drivers corner of my bonnet, just where the headlight is. When i checked under the bonnet I could see where water had sprayed up onto the bonnet and the area surrounding the thick pipe that goes into the rad. I've established that this only happens when under boost because when I filled it back up and drove it round without boosting, it didn't happen.

Any ideas ?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2009, 03:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Loosing water under boost.

Not sure how boost would affect your radiator other than when you are on boost the engine is by necessity running at a much higher temperature, so i would have thought it is more a temp issue than a boost issue.

Have you checked all the pipes and also the radiator itself in that area for splits/cracks etc? Remember that heat causes expansion so as things warm up gaps or splits become more pronounced. Also check that all the clips holding hoses in place are tightened up and are not misshapen. If you find the hoses or clips are dodgy then replace. If the radiator itself is leaking then get somebody to look at it.

If it's not that then not sure. Sure someone else will have an idea.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

True what Wayne said their............ Does the steam happen when your engine idling and sitting in trafic as if this is the case might be a tiny split in rad I had a problem with mine like that it was steam like that fixed it asap thats me mine was on passenger side right at corner under black sheild was at top of rad tiny split hot air rises you see from the warm coolant in rad and escapes did you rule out everything else do the engine did not overheat did it and it not down in coolant below low mark is it?????? try hose clip to had a problem with the upper rad hose the hose clip engine side lost a bit off coolant just tightened it and all sorted................

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 10 Jan 2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

No the engine never overheated. Once it reaches half way, it just sits there and sometimes drops a little lower when driving around, because of the cold air flowing through I guess. Im taking up a garage to check the pipes etc today, i'll be gutted if it is the rad, its an alloy one and cant imagine it'd be cheap to replace.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
its an alloy one and cant imagine it'd be cheap to replace.
I'm afraid they're not.

Fingers crossed it's just a hose or clip, and judging by the fact it isn't overheating you could be lucky. When radiator went on my WRX I knew all about it; steam everywhere, overheating etc. Just the Subaru radiator was 60,000 yen (300 quid).
Old 10 Jan 2009, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Well then I've found out that the water is jumping over to the overflow tank and then being force out of there. What would cause this ?

I'm fairly sure my head gasket hasn't gone because there's no smoke outta the exhaust, no water in the oil and the engine runs sweet as a nut.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Right, I've had a good read over the forums and I've found a post that describes everything problem I'm encountering at the moment. It looks like it might be the thermostat because sometimes the heaters blow hot and sometimes they blow cold. Also sometimes the cars operating temp drops to the bottom nearly.

If I take the thermostat out Tomorrow, how can I test to see if its gone ?

Thanks.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 11:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Heres just a quick run down of what I've noticed happening recently;

1) The car has never overheated
2) Sometimes when driving, the temp will drop to nearly the lowest point
3) Sometimes the heater will blow hot, sometimes it'll blow cold
4) Loosing water via the overflow pipe
5) No oil in water, no water in oil, no white smoke, car runs fine
6) High pressure cap fitted with alu rad, no apparent leaks
Old 11 Jan 2009, 02:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Hi Damien sounds like thermostat alright do you notice the temp gauge a lot more say for instance with car just taking it handy and harly giving no power the temp drops ya it more than likely thermostat TESTING when you take it out put it into boiling hot water that stat should open in your case, it would overheat if it didnt open in other peoples cases then with very cold tap water soak stat in that and then it should close stat but in your case it not closing fully due to faulty stat that allows it to run cooler then cause coolant continually flowing, well coolant flows all the time but stat opens and closes in certain tempeture for instance it stays closed when engine cold when engine warms up it opens, Its a waxed pellet type stat I think hope it helps......................
Old 11 Jan 2009, 11:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks, ill get down to the motor factors to pick up a new one tomorrow.

When i took the Mrs home last night, ive noticed a whole new symptom too. The car's temp was up and down like a yo yo. First of all it would be ok, then it would jump up then all of a sudden drop again, within seconds.

The heaters also went cold when it would go higher.
Old 11 Jan 2009, 04:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Young Scooby

i had the same problem with a rover 800 vitesse turbo.... i changed the thermostat still the same problem....

it actually turned out to be a faulty water pump.. in the end....
Old 11 Jan 2009, 07:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Where's the water pump located and how can I tell if its not working any more ?
Old 11 Jan 2009, 07:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Young Scooby

im sorry but i am new to subarus... but not to turbo engines...... prob best to get some better experience than me now...
Old 11 Jan 2009, 08:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Where's the water pump located and how can I tell if its not working any more ?
Its fitted to front of engine driven by timing belt but you would have to take off timing belt to really check it you hold the bearing and if it sounds rocky or rough or play in it its faulty but id go with thermostat normally when pump goes they these holes in pump called weeping holes when bearing in pump fails it leaks coolant but thats not all the time do is leak running down the very end of the cambelt cover?????? hope it helps mostly stat do id say
Old 11 Jan 2009, 08:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Young Scooby

yeah wot he said.... the water pump was the last thing we thought of looking at.... and again it was a rover.... so changing the air filter prob would have sorted the problem cause they are so gash....... and the fault with them seldom showed any of the normal signs.... it gave you cryptic faults...lol

good luck let us know how you get on!