Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Engine Bay

Subaru Impreza Forum

HEAD GASKET BLOWN SYMPTOMS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Nov 2011, 09:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: HEAD GASKET BLOWN SYMPTOMS

I'm going to grill the guy as much as possible about the engine's history before buying it. Got a quote of approx. 900 + VAT from a garage for installing the engine today (not sure what labour's like where you guys are, but here that's pretty good for a job of this nature), so hopefully will get the whole lot done within the next couple of months (just in time for winter, 4x4 weather!).

Cheers for the help, will let you know how I get on once it's all in motion
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2011, 04:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
I'm going to grill the guy as much as possible about the engine's history before buying it. Got a quote of approx. 900 + VAT from a garage for installing the engine today (not sure what labour's like where you guys are, but here that's pretty good for a job of this nature), so hopefully will get the whole lot done within the next couple of months (just in time for winter, 4x4 weather!).

Cheers for the help, will let you know how I get on once it's all in motion
Great
Old 19 Feb 2012, 06:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Nearly four months and a hefty bill later, and I finally have my car back!

Been baby-ing it for the past few days, everything seems to be running fine. Idles a little high to start with (around 2000 rev), but I'm putting that down to the cold or the ECU needing re-calibrated. When I bought the car the original owner had installed a boost upgrade chip, could there be a chance it needs time to reset?

However, there was a slight problem on Friday night. Drove approx 15 miles, making sure not to go over 4000 revs, let the engine get up to temperature before I went over 2500 revs, etc. When I got home I sat outside the house, letting the turbo/engine cool down before turning off the system, when the CHECK ENGINE light came on. The last time this happened, the gasket blew. Could this just be something to do with the ECU or is the engine likely to be on it's way out again?

Thanks in advance, sorry if none of this makes sense
Old 21 Feb 2012, 06:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

To find the codes have a look at the the link from the check engine light

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / Reading ECU Fault Codes

Heres the codes then
Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / Subaru Specific Trouble Code Definitions

Could also bring it back to where you got it fixed and they check the codes maybe only somthing small
Old 21 Feb 2012, 07:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Wow, fantastic, I'll have a look at both of them later on, my pal has some program on his phone, think he said it was called Torque, we couldn't find the OBDII on the car seeing as it's a '94 model so we lost hope immediately, this is a massive help! Can't thank you enough!
Old 21 Feb 2012, 07:50 PM   #21 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
Wow, fantastic, I'll have a look at both of them later on, my pal has some program on his phone, think he said it was called Torque, we couldn't find the OBDII on the car seeing as it's a '94 model so we lost hope immediately, this is a massive help! Can't thank you enough!
Glad to help
Old 23 Aug 2013, 06:42 PM   #22 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Yo guys I got an 05 sti thats over heatin. Okay so i blew the radiator when i rev to high but now i changed it got an aftermarket one an the stat also. it was running fine, running even 10 degrees lower than with the stock one until a couple of weeks ago that it started overheating out of nowhere...... -__- any ideas of what could that be?????? radiator liquid is fine no leaks no white smoke nothing from the exterior so....... please need some help!
Old 13 Mar 2014, 12:16 AM   #23 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Started new thread

Last edited by redscoobie; 13 Mar 2014 at 12:20 AM.