Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Engine Bay

Subaru Impreza Forum

engine light dissapears when clutch pressed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Nov 2007, 10:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

engine light dissapears when clutch pressed

hey all im new to these forums. just wondering if any 1 can help.

ive got a 97 impreza 2.0 sport. had the clutch changed a few months ago and every thing was fine. about a week later the when driving normally the check engine light appeard and stays on when normal drivng but when coming to a stop at lights or a junction the revs drop to about 500 rpm and the check engine light goes out the revs then slowly rise back to normal idling speed... some times though when coming to a stop and letting the engine light go out the car stalls... but normally the revs drop and light goes out.
ive taken the car to my local subaru garrage and they read the fault codes. it came up with idle air control malfunction. they put a new airflow meter on and it didnt help then tried cleaning out the idle air control valve aswell but that didnt help neither now they dont no what to make of it... can any 1 help? thanks for reading and any help given.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2007, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Exact same

Same problem. Told it was MAF sensor - £200+, still doing same. Seems to happen when driving at low speeds with revs around 2000, engine light comes on, clutch in, revs drop, light goes off. Takes a bit for idle to settle but when it does ticks over OK.
Old 25 Nov 2007, 03:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to jammychap
Hummmm odd what is your battery/alternator power like ??
Old 25 Nov 2007, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Power OK. Gauge shows 14V.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

exact same problem alternator and charge rate is al ok chargining at 14.2v when idling.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Anders52
I would have said the idle air control valve without reading the fault codes. This was a common prob on the V6 vectra's. Normally these valves move fast to steady the flow of air into the engine during idle and over-run and if they stick and either let too much air in or too little then the engine cant do what it needs to do and can end up knackering your cat.

Might be worth giving it another clean with some decent cleaner and also make sure any airway past the butterfly etc are clear as well.

If that doesnt help then go to the scrappies and get another one and see if it helps. If it does then great stuff, if not then its not the end of the world and a damn sight cheaper than a new one from subaru.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 10:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to tiny
what about the 02 sensor, have you checked that?
Old 28 Nov 2007, 11:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

O2 sensor

CEL code is 24 which says idle control valve. Problem is how to check O2 without actually replacing?

Apart from the idling car is OK!
Old 02 Dec 2007, 04:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

checked 02 sensors-- their ok and the subaru garage said that the airintake at idle was measuring 2.62 mg/s of air and should be around 6 at idle so they replaced the airflow meter and the where still getting the same reading. pissing me off now cos i had it all done to be reliable on the motorway and now its pissing around. ive tried resetting the ecu and the fault is still their.
Old 03 Dec 2007, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Like you confused, new MAF made difference to widly erratic idling but CEL still says 24. Ordered second hand idle control valve from Foresters (yet to arrive after a whole week).

Rang Zen Performance a while back, appeared to be to busy to help. I was hoping to get a diagnostic but no luck getting it done. Seems to me you just replace everything! Eventually got e-mail back which said TPS (throttle position sensor) without seeing car. Don't know if this has cropped up before.
Old 04 Dec 2007, 09:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

how much was the second hand air control valve and where did u get it from again? wouldnt think it was the throttle position sensor as then that would show up on the diagnostic codes so ive been told.
Old 05 Dec 2007, 08:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

£40 + VAT + P&P coming from:
Foresters Subaru Spares,
Units 7/8 Loxdale Park Industrial Estate
Northcott Road
Bilston
Wolverhampton
WV14 OTP
Telephone :: 01902 494889
Mobile :: 07815 850693
Email ::
info@foresterspares.co.uk
Fax :: 01922 479312

Part came today will fit at weekend.

Know what you mean about the TPS and the code but maybe if the engine doesn't know whether it should be ticking over or driving because the TPS doesn't know where it is perhaps then the idle valve is tripped in and faults?
Old 06 Dec 2007, 07:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Sponsor
Paid & Proud

have you ever re-set the ECU, if not it will always give you the storde fault codes, current or not!!
Old 07 Dec 2007, 06:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

yea i reset the ecu and it didnt help. let me no how it goes with the new aircontrol valve.
Old 09 Dec 2007, 06:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Same. Disconnect battery leave over night. Re-connect, check, no errors. Short run - CEL. Code 24.

Part came, well say part, just bit on top not the body. Dissapointed @ £47!

Still, fitted, took 2mins. Run out. No surprises, exactly same.

Me thinks these codes waste of time!

Next?