Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Engine Bay

Subaru Impreza Forum

decat again!!, help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jun 2006, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Question decat again!!, help please

hi,
does anyone know if a decat pipe off a classic facelift model would fit a 95 classic scooby??, and how much would i expect to pay for an front decat?, and a middle decat?,
does the front one require that fire proof wadding?
regards dave
Old 20 Jun 2006, 08:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

think the do fit but check with suplier to make sure.

full decat is about 500 + vat fitted (at scooby clinic) and to be honest i'd get some one to fit it for you, they can be a right pain to take off

downpipe on its own 265+vat fitted (for 2.5 inch) 295+vat fitted for 3 inch

centre pipe is 85+ vat fitted

thing with a full decat is your advise to get a remap, removing the cats removes back pressure on the turbo meaning it spools up quicker and can cause overboost
Old 20 Jun 2006, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

thanks, ive seen front decats on abey or £140, wat you think?, id fit it myself tho, ive lost mucho nuckle before but its allways worth it, how much is a remap?, how do they do a remap exactlly?
regards dave
Old 20 Jun 2006, 09:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

mmm, tbh would stay well clear of ebay for serious mechanical parts, worth paying a bit extra for piece of mind.

to hange the down pipe you have to remove the top mount, heat sheild and then exhaust of course. if its been on the car from new you can garenty its gonna be pretty much rusted solid and prob shear of a couple of bolts.
the heat shield needs moddifying to fit new downpipe.
then they need rebolting together and away you go.

i think 95's can be mapped onto the existing ecu (someone corect me if i'm wrong) so pretty much the car would be put on a rolling road, a base map is put on the car, the the mapper would adjust settings to get the best performance out of it, aka timing, injector timing and flow rates, air flow rates etc etc.
once done on the rr, the car then gets finalised on the road (airflow is different on the rr).
different cars are built to varying tollerances so no two engines are the same hence no two cars have the same map.

the map can be made to be more economical than the orgional one, prduce more power or mix of the above.

reason custom remapping gets better results than standard is because they have to provide a map that will work on all the engines they produce so they tend to be very safe and allow for worst case tolerances.

perfprmance after mapping varies, but combining with decat and up rated pannel filter you can see upwards of 25% better performance eg my car, standard uk turbo 215bhp/214ftlb now as per above 258bhp/280ftlb of torque. but as said the results varies from car to car