Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Engine Bay

Subaru Impreza Forum

Impreza GX running rough

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Mar 2015, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Impreza GX running rough

Hi Guys,

Iv had an issue with my impreza but I cant figure out what exactly the issue is.

The engine light is on but not flashing. When its cold it seams to run ok but when the car warms up it starts to act up. The best way I can describe it is when im driving it feels like the car hits a flat spot and I loose power. Sometimes when Im taking off from a set of traffic lights or slow moving traffic the car is jumping and spluttering and there is no go at all. Occasionally I need to switch off the ignition and start the car again and it drives fine for a while. Also if im driving it and I put my foot all the way down the car just looses power all together, its almost as if I had lifted my foot of the accelerator.

Now parts that Iv replaced.
  • Spark plugs
  • Plug leads
  • Ignition coil
  • Rear Lambda sensor
  • Idle control valve
  • Rocker cover and spark plug gaskets

The reason I changed the Lambda sensor is when I had it in the Subaru main dealer he couldn't find any fault codes on his computer (not even a code for the ABS light that's on) he said that he reckons it could be a cat but when I hooked it up to the emission tester the machine said that the cat was working perfectly. So I chanced a Lambda but it didn't change a thing.

Im caught between a few different things, I was thinking it was a head gasket but there didnt seem to be bubbles coming through the coolant. Or I was thinking it could be a Air Flow Sensor but I cant seem to find where its located (not that I spent too much time looking)

Can anyone float a few ideas my way as to what the issue could be??

Thanks,

Joe
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2015, 08:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Impreza GX running rough

Grab a cheap obd lead and romraider see what the car is doing when you do drive it by doing some logging,
You can see what your maff is doing.