Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Engine Bay

Subaru Impreza Forum

turbo / headgaskit problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Feb 2015, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

turbo / headgaskit problems

Hi there i just wounderd if anyone has any ideas i bought a 1996 subaru impreza v limited on sat and after a couple of days i noticed the dump valve was passing oil the morning after started her up and alot of smoke (oil smell) me and my freind av been looking tonight and found the turbo is passing oil so we came to conclusion of seals in turbo do u think this is right? There also seems to be a little sign pointing to head there is a bit of white ish gunk in the oil filler no over heating oil in water sweet smelling smoke bubbles in radator or using any water noticed smoke comming from oil filler wen first started it was blowing wen cap off any ideas coz kinda got us stumped thanks in advance for any help

Last edited by barneyjr1985; 20 Feb 2015 at 12:20 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2015, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: turbo / headgaskit problems

white smoke isnt oil, blue smoke is oil.
Old 20 Feb 2015, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Ok if it was white smoke what could it be i mean it could of been blue it add an oil smell to it and with the turbo passing oil i thought it was just burning off what was in pipes as after few seconds on tickover smoke clears and dosent really smoke till driving again i was just trying to see if that seems like it could be reason for the smoke
Old 21 Feb 2015, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Well think we av found the problem now think its a piston or rings coz done a compresion test and and got no compresion in one pot so think this means theres fuel in oil and points to y theres prsure in oil filler which means hopefuly me turbo is fine and due to oil being thin due to fuel in it its passing the seals dose this sound about right and if im to put it in a garage wot would u think id have to change as well as getting the piston or rings sorted ?

Last edited by barneyjr1985; 21 Feb 2015 at 11:14 PM.