Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Engine Bay

Subaru Impreza Forum

Air lock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Sep 2014, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Air lock

Hi , I've got a classic subaru , I noticed last week that my heaters were blowing cold . So I checked the matrix hose behind the inter cooler , one was HOT , tHe other cold , so I thought air lock in the coolant . Drained the coolant , bought new coolant to put back in her , I squeezed the top radiator with every litre I put in her , I poured the coolant in slowly ,she took 6.5 litres then struggled to take any more . Started the car with the radiator cap off , air bubbles was coming out the coolant tank . The top main rad hose was hot the bottom hose warm , fans kick in top and bottom hoses now warm , matrix hoses now hot , heaters are on hot and on full . Heaters are blowing hot air now . I thought great job done . I let her cool down , topped up the coolant , I added another litre . I drove the car this morning , there was a distinctive smell,of coolant coming from engine bay , then steam was coming out the front scoop ( pressure )! . Drove home popped the bonnet checked the hose no leaks , felt the hoses top hose slightly warm bottom hose cold , matrix hoses hot . I'm at my wits end , I've read quite a lot of subaru forums on this subject , I've even gave her the sniffer test , all was clear , I've been at this for a week now with the draining , flushing the whole system , I've even taken the rad out and flushed it , also so did it with the matrix hoses . Just to make sure that I covered everything ?
So I'm needing some advice on what I've done and what I need to do to correct this nightmare . Sorry about the short story . Vic
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2014, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Air lock

if you have steam and the smell of coolant you have a leak, hose or rad . . .
hth
Old 04 Sep 2014, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Hi bugeye , it's only slight the steam , the funny thing is it only after 15 min or so of driving when I stop the car , car still running there's nothing , that's why I'm thinking it's pressure build up , with this airlock, when I stripped the cooling system down to check for blockages and the hoses for splits and tears there was no sign of any thing .
Old 04 Sep 2014, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

how does an air lock allow coolant to escape so that you can smell it ?
Old 04 Sep 2014, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby

It could be the coolant that dripped on the upper pipe while I was topping up the coolant and letting it idle to bleed the system ? I started her this afternoon and ran her for a hour in the garage . I put like a purge bucket to get rid of any air , I got three big burps in the bucket , temp gauge at normal , no smell of coolant no leaks , everything ran ok , I put the throttle at 3 to 4 revs , everything seems ok , I turned her off let her cool down , I had to put in 400 ml of coolant in . So do you think that's it .
Old 05 Sep 2014, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

your the expert lol
Old 05 Sep 2014, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Cheers ya dick lmao . Out in the car the day no fkn probs

Last edited by wrx123; 05 Sep 2014 at 02:17 PM.