Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Engine Bay

Subaru Impreza Forum

New Engine For The Cat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Dec 2013, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

New Engine For The Cat

Hi guys from what i can gather its a pain to get my 1997 Cat up to about 280-290BHP so i was thinking whats the hassle with buying a s/h sti lump or wrx lump.
the only issue i have is im as technical minded as a door stop so to be on the safe side i thought i would ask you guys for advice.
Im stuck for ideas so far my cat has got a full systerm on her i K&N pannel filter but after all that on a car that was 208BHP 17 years ago cant be more then 215BHP now. im not even sure i want 280 BHP just more touque will do me i want to be thrown back in my seat.
So as many ideas would do me wonders an your the guys to ask.
Many thanks phil
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2013, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Re: New Engine For The Cat

hi no matter what mods you add to the engine you will need to get it remapped. if you get it remapped as it is you should get 260bhp with those mods.
to reach 280-290bhp you'll probably going to need to replace the turbo for a bigger one then get it remapped.

click here >>> ECU Mapping for a list of places that do remaps
Old 24 Dec 2013, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi i think ill give jolly green monster a call there the nearest to me. thanks for the reply dont supose you know what ecu is on a 1997 catalunya because i keep reading that the ecu cant be remapped . i think 260bhp will do me better then 208 anyday. oh an merry christmas to you
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Dec 2013, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyperc View Post
Hi i think ill give jolly green monster a call there the nearest to me. thanks for the reply dont supose you know what ecu is on a 1997 catalunya because i keep reading that the ecu cant be remapped . i think 260bhp will do me better then 208 anyday. oh an merry christmas to you
Merry Christmas
you will need to take the carpet up in the passenger footwell then remove the kick plate make a note of the details on the ECU and ask Simon at Jolly Green Monster if he can map it.