Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Engine Bay

Subaru Impreza Forum

Calling WRX Guru's...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2012, 06:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Question Calling WRX Guru's...

Hi guys,
Calling all the Subaru guru's for advice!! i know your out there....

Ive had my 97 GF8 WRX for 6 months now (loving it).

MY problem started when i was coming home from work one day, i was heading up a steepish hill, holding at a steady 60kph-ish in 4th gear and my CEL light came on. Car didn't seem to be any different, so i chopped down and gave it a boost and the light went out. The next day i did a full ECU reset (the proper way) and tried going up the same hill in the same manner and low and behold it came on again. After checking the codes it threw up a 22 (knock senor).

Thinking that my engine was in the process of blowing up i am now running it on 98 octane and changed the spark plugs to NGK iridium ones. But still no luck. Only thing i have noticed that might be wrong is that when the turbo 1st starts to spool up it sounds like its not boosting cleanly. The only way i can describe it is the turbo sounds like its got the trots , but once u get going and to full boost its fine??

Any ideas?
Car seems fine apart from this aparent boost 'problem', im assuming thats whats causing the CEL because they both happen in the same rev range mainly when under load. Any help would be great.
Thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2012, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Re: Calling WRX Guru's...

its sounds like there is still some bad fuel in the system, it will take at least 2 tanks of super unleaded then a ecu reset, thats if the engine is still ok.
Old 03 Jun 2012, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for the reply.

I have run well over 2 tanks of Super, Before that i was running it on Shell V-Power. But thats only 95 as opposed to the 98RON i run it on now.

You think if the previous owner (who lived in a small town with only a Shell station) ran it on 95 consistently it could have damaged the engine?
Old 03 Jun 2012, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebbyj View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I have run well over 2 tanks of Super, Before that i was running it on Shell V-Power. But thats only 95 as opposed to the 98RON i run it on now.

You think if the previous owner (who lived in a small town with only a Shell station) ran it on 95 consistently it could have damaged the engine?

Shell V-Power is 98 or 99 RON. As for running it on 95 RON all the time that would damage the engine especially when running on boost.
Old 04 Jun 2012, 07:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I had to double check but down here in NZ the Shell V-Power is only 95RON which is strange...
Our regular is 91 so the V Power is 95 and you have to go to a BP or Mobil (dont know if you guys have them) to get 98RON.

What would running it on 95 long term do to the engine? what symptoms would it cause? because the car seems to be running fine. unless the previous owner ran it on the good stuff and my 2 or 3 tanks of 95 ruined it.
Old 04 Jun 2012, 12:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Read this link, click here >>>running on normal petrol?