Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Engine Bay

Subaru Impreza Forum

Rod knock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2012, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Rod knock?

Hello everyone, Ive been abit of floater on impreza.org havent posted much i know but I could do with abit of advice if anyone can help please?

I think my new 05 wrx's engine is fubard it has a very loud metalic knocking when under load in and out of gear. Video Below

What do you guys think? After watching a few videos on youtube It sounds alot like rod knock but then i've also read it could be a heat shield somewhere.

Worst case though whats a rough estimate on a engine recon cost and would the fact it's a parallel import be a problem in terms of parts and stuff. I've tried ringing API but there closed today
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2012, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: Rod knock?

I thought it was a parallel import but now i'm thinking its a JDM my vin starts with JF1GDA and the model number is GDAEK8D same as a uk300. Strange because it came from a Subaru dealer in Cyprus 04 and registered new in the uk by subaru in swindon 05 :confused

Old 07 May 2012, 03:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

eclipse performance say they can rebuild a bottom end for 1500 if they do the work, or a 1000 if you send them the engine.
Old 07 May 2012, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
eclipse performance say they can rebuild a bottom end for 1500 if they do the work, or a 1000 if you send them the engine.
Really! any experience with these?
Old 14 Feb 2013, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Eclipse fitted a NON H1 version for me in December along with one of their cheap lightweight flywheels and after taking almost 2 weeks to fit on my car (1st cluth was the wrong one, then thay had other problems)
The judder and clutch thrash werereally really bad, biting point was mm's of the top of the biting point. Clutch failed withing 8 weeks due to bad parts (checking with Exedy if Eclipse fitted Genuine parts or not - will update when they tell me)

They also under-filled transmission fluid, incorrectly inflated tyres, possibly damaged bell-housing etc.

Timing belt almost worn thru also after 8 weeks.

Photos to support all this.

Bottom line - spent 1400 for clutch and flywheel and timing belt. All useless and replaced.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 08:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviechi View Post
Eclipse fitted a NON H1 version for me in December along with one of their cheap lightweight flywheels and after taking almost 2 weeks to fit on my car (1st cluth was the wrong one, then thay had other problems)
The judder and clutch thrash werereally really bad, biting point was mm's of the top of the biting point. Clutch failed withing 8 weeks due to bad parts (checking with Exedy if Eclipse fitted Genuine parts or not - will update when they tell me)

They also under-filled transmission fluid, incorrectly inflated tyres, possibly damaged bell-housing etc.

Timing belt almost worn thru also after 8 weeks.

Photos to support all this.

Bottom line - spent 1400 for clutch and flywheel and timing belt. All useless and replaced.
I saw your thread on Scabby net
Old 15 Feb 2013, 09:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
I saw your thread on Scabby net
They offered to re-do the clutch etc, but I have 0% confidence that they had the necessary skills get it right the second time (otherwise you would do it right the fist time and save yourself a lot of 'free work').

Didn't like their answers - so left it at the garage where it broke down - and let them do the work. Presently waiting to hear back from Exedy if the rusty clutch cover that came off the car is the one I was invoiced for. If not then I have some serious claims against Eclipe for fraud.

Cheers