Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Engine Bay

Subaru Impreza Forum

Possible ingition problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jun 2011, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Possible ingition problem?

Hey guys last night I started my car and on start up it sounded very different from the norm. It was a delayed start and also had a higher pitch noise to it. The car did start ok but look longer and sounded odd. I no this isn't alot of info to go on but if anyone has an idea then would be helpful.
Was thinking could be spark plugs,coil packs, leads, or starter motor.
Cheers guys
Ben
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2011, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Possible ingition problem?

battery ok ?
Old 19 Jun 2011, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Not too sure but at lunch time it started fine but 7hours later it was as above. How would I no if my battery was ok or not?
Old 19 Jun 2011, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Is it running and sounding ok when it has started and been running a min or so? Does it drive normally?
Old 19 Jun 2011, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Yeah it seems fine once started but is so embaresing when starting the thing!!
Old 19 Jun 2011, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Try changing the fuel filter. A blocked filter can really affect starting, making it take a lot longer and sound strange until it builds up some pressure to force the fuel past the filter. Mine took between 6 to 10 secs to start before I changed the filter, but ran ok once it had fired up and ran for 30 secs or so. Worth a try.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quick update tried to start it this morning but wouldn't start at all. Had to get jump leads to start it. I drove it last two days ago and it was fine. Any other ideas? Am gonna get a hks or blitz filter next week( oil) heard it makes less strain on engine.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 01:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

As it runs ok once started I would say that the main mechanics of the engine are fine. No need to change spark plugs, etc.

Is it trying to start, ie the engine turns over but it just wont start?? That will rule out the starter motor unless it sounds really weak, in which case battery or starter itself.
Assuming it turns over and sound normally, check that fuel is getting past the filter and that the pump is actually working. You normally hear it when you turn the ignition on, but if not check you are getting a 12v supply to it. If voltage present, then sounds like the pump is FUBAR'd. If the pump is ok, make sure fuel getting to the injectors. Quite possibly the filter is blocked if it hasnt been changed for a long time. Could also be the coolant temp sensor. I believe that they cause starting issues as the sensor tells the ecu that that engine temp is too high and wont allow the engine to start.

There are loads of threads on .org if you do a search. I would almost guarantee it will be something simple. Just work through logically and dont assume that something is working without checking it.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 07:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

It's so annoying tho. I'm going go get my mechanic friend have a look at it. Don't fanc doing trial and error by changing all sorts of things as will end up costing loads. Thanks for he adviceate has being really helpful.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 07:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

its your battery, get it checked.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 07:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

I did they said it was fine. Apparently if a starter motor is busted then it can sap power from battery. Just going on what I was told tho so don't quote me lol
Old 14 Jul 2011, 07:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxwagon View Post
I did they said it was fine. Apparently if a starter motor is busted then it can sap power from battery. Just going on what I was told tho so don't quote me lol
I once had a Rover (yes, I know!!! lol ) that had a starting problem from new. Battery was fine, but on trying to start it, it would seem that all the power had gone. Once the car had been jump or bump started, it was fine for a while. It turned out to have a knackered starter motor. Quite possible that yours has gone too. Have you tried jump starting it? If that still doesnt work, you can safely say it is the starter rather than the battery. Relatively cheap and easy fix.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 08:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulders View Post
I once had a Rover (yes, I know!!! lol ) that had a starting problem from new. Battery was fine, but on trying to start it, it would seem that all the power had gone. Once the car had been jump or bump started, it was fine for a while. It turned out to have a knackered starter motor. Quite possible that yours has gone too. Have you tried jump starting it? If that still doesnt work, you can safely say it is the starter rather than the battery. Relatively cheap and easy fix.
Rovers aren't that bad. They sold one of their engines to BMW back in the day. Yea that is exactly what's up with mine. My mate who's the mechanic said the starter motor was gone. Have seen a used but In good working order on eBay for like 25 pounds or I can buy new for like 140. What's better? Thanks for the help again
Old 14 Jul 2011, 08:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Personally, I would go with a used one. It will be guaranteed for a month and you will know if it is likely to be dud after a few days in which case send it back. You can buy 5 second hands ones for the price of a new one and if it had to be replaced again, you would still be quids in. I think you can get them reconditioned, but if you get a working used one, I am sure it will be fine. Get one from a reputable used car parts place and you wont go far wrong.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 11:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Would a starter motor from a wrx/sti be ok to use on mine gx?