Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Engine Bay

Subaru Impreza Forum

kerry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jun 2011, 07:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

kerry

Hi all, New member and in a lot of trouble, need help. I own a 2008 STI manual hatchback. 61000km. Been having trouble hold performance after servise and finally Subaru removed and disasembled the engine and found broken ring landings. Installed a new motor and attached the various components, road tested apparently and told me the car was ready to pickup. I started the car with the clutch engaged as usual and I could hear a metalic scraping sound which seemed to emit from the rear of the engine area. This noise was like a dry bearing would make and the car was cold at that stage. I called the mechance over to listen and he turned of the motor and gave me the loan car keys back. Its been 3 days and the dealership have told me they replaced the trust bearing and some other bearing at the fly wheel, refitted the box and ran the car and said the noise is still there. He is saying that this noise is common in the six speed box and will do away when the box is hot? Now this car has had a good life and not thrashed and never had we heard this noise before. We have had the car since 7000km in 2009. I have been looking at the various web sites regarding bearing and ring land failures on the 2008 STI and luckilly the car is still under warranty to the end of this month. Jesus I have no tech experience but what does everyone think? Thanks and regards,
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2011, 08:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Re: kerry

He is talking utter rubbish. There shouldn't be any metallic scraping noises or otherwise. Metal on metal will mean failure of that component in a very short space of time and clearly something is wrong. Complain to the manager and if you dont get anywhere, go straight to Subaru customer services.
Old 01 Jun 2011, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

As above, if the thrust bearing (or any other bearing for that matter) is making a grinding noise it is on its way out. If they have replaced the bearings correctly there should be no noises whatsoever. Had the same issue on my RA last year and had to have the thrust and pilot bearings replaced. Also needed a new slave cylinder which had managed to fail at the same time.
Old 01 Jun 2011, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Pick another Subaru gargage ! They haven't got a clue....
Old 01 Jun 2011, 10:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

As above, I would definitely contact Subaru customer services regarding it. Try another reputable garage and get a second opinion on it also
Old 02 Jun 2011, 12:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for the replies, I contacted the state rep for Subaru yesterday and his initial response was that their can be rollover-gear chatter stemming from the back of the gear box. The noise appears to me to be at the back of the engine area. The problem I have at the momment is the dealer has replaced the thrust bearing and pilot bearing and the noise is still there. I have demanded the rep to attend at the dealers to run the car first thing today and let me know whats happening. I am worried that damage to the gear box could have been done during the road test. Will let you all know how things pan out later today. These discussion sites are great. I was looking into the ring landing issues and noted that the early 2008 STI vehicles where run upto 10 times to 6000RPM at the dealers service centres to check on Big end bearing issues before sale and the local rep has told me they expect the ring problem in my car has been present since probably new. Thanks and regards Kerry
Old 02 Jun 2011, 02:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi again, can anyone tell me what the current serial number sequence is on new replacement STI 2.5L motors into Australia? Can you tell if a replacement motor is straight from the factory or rebuilt? Thanks Kerry