Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Engine Bay

Subaru Impreza Forum

Water?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Mar 2011, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Water?

I've got a problem with my subaru. I seem to be topping up the water in a regular basis, i'm talking about 1.5ltrs every 3 or so days. Now when the engine is hot, there is no visible steam coming from anywhere under the bonnet,(Also, recently changed all the coolant hoses with silicone ones) not a drop underneath the car when its been standing, and before everyone shouts 'headgasket...' There is no oil in the water/coolant, and no water/coolant in the oil, no white gunk on the header cap, and the engine is not smoking at all..... So anyone got any ideas to where all the coolant is going? Oh and i've recently changed the water pump and the thermostat.

Cheers, Andy
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2011, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: Water?

Sounds like u have a leak somewhere. Get a pressure test done. Check the heater matrix inside the car as it may be leaking in there
Old 31 Mar 2011, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

How many times have you topped up? Is it possible that you didnt put enough in the first time due to an airlock and as it circulates it needs more to keep it full? Is the carpet wet in the footwells?
Old 31 Mar 2011, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Cheers, urmm, where is the heater matrix? I've topped up in total about 3/4ltrs now. And when i did a coolant change about 2 months ago now i pretty much put in about 5ltrs. Had the engine up to temp with the header cap off and the heater on so pretty sure there was no air lock. How much coolant should there be in total? I heard about 5ltrs, is that correct? Oh and no, the carpet is not wet.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

The heater matrix is up inside the bottom of the dash near te interior fan. Normally you find wet carpet in the front footwells or sound deadening underneath if it is leaking
Old 01 Apr 2011, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Does the heater blow hot air?? Double check the new thermostat could be a faulty part
Old 04 Apr 2011, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Young Scooby

its a headgasket m8, just had it happen to me, exactly same issues problems, cost me 1700 with a new clutch timming belt, etc but going good again now
Old 04 Apr 2011, 08:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintaper View Post
its a headgasket m8, just had it happen to me, exactly same issues problems, cost me 1700 with a new clutch timming belt, etc but going good again now
Ouch....I hope not, as i'm in the process of buying a house at the mo, there's not way i can afford that type of repair at the mo... Tho i would have thought with the amount of water that's gone in, surely there would be traces showing up in the oil? Also, do you think that as this has been going on for a while now, would the gasket not have completely failed by now? As long as it hasn't gone bang by then, i'm getting a pressure test done at the weekend.
Old 05 Apr 2011, 04:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Young Scooby

i hope im wrong m8, but there was no milky oil on my dipstick etc, was using water like hell, it turned out the radiotor was knackered , leading to total gasket failure, get it chekced asap m8 and good luck
Old 06 Apr 2011, 10:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to woodo

hmmmm, is your expansion tank and header tank both full? strange question does it ever struggle to start?