Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

my03 sidelight bulb help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2010, 07:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

my03 sidelight bulb help!

I'm hoping someone can help me here, My n missus have just bought a 03 STI and I have bought some led white sidelight bulbs, I took out the grille, the 4 clips next to the grill (through the top of the bumper), the 4 10mm bolts though the top of the lights as instructed in the manual but the light still would not move!! I dont want to break anything so any advice would be appreciated : )
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2010, 07:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Re: my03 sidelight bulb help!

I just fitted the led bulbs to my 03. It's a ridiculous design. With the bolts removed from the top of the headlights you will find it is still held by 4 ball and socket type things. The headlight needs to be pulled out of these. I loosened off the first 2 wing bolts on each side. The headlight only tilted forward at this stage but it was enough for me to get the bulbs changed. Get some one to help you to put it back in again as you may need someone to hold the wing out a wee bit as the headlight will catch on the edge of it. Don't try to use to much force when doing that bit so the wing doesn't get damaged. I put the led ones in cos they last longer and hopefully I won't have to do it again!!
Old 22 Oct 2010, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Hello mate, welcome to .org
Post some pics of the STI, used to own an 03 STI myself until engine went pop
Old 23 Oct 2010, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

wey hey! undid the wing bolts & gently pryed the light out : ) fancy pants white bulbs look ace, thanks for the help.

I will get a couple of pics up soon, engine went pop on an 03 plate! crikey i hope i have better luck!
Old 23 Oct 2010, 10:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

glad you got it sorted and the bulbs look great in mine too. Just need 2 hid kits to finish the look for dip and main beam!
Old 02 Nov 2010, 12:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I have a 2002 Subaru Forester. After reading all the comments, I thought I would go to an auto shop and do it. Given when I called the auto shop, it was $30 to install the headlight bulb. So I went into the owners manual and see what they are saying and compare all the advices. Below are the steps and it took me 20 min to do it all and I am computer programmer. Tools used were a pliers, 13/32 bit, and a flat head screw driver .