Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

Newbie electrical question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Oct 2010, 05:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Newbie electrical question

The vehicle isn't an Impreza, but this looks like the place to post. The vehicle in question is a 2002 Subaru outback, 2.5 L 4cyl model.

I got into an accident which pushed the right headlight back a bit and totalled the right side of the bumper and the right fender.
Before touching anything I tried out the lights, hi/lows and both signal lights worked as normal. So I tore off the bumper, including the fog lights, and did some body work on the fender with a pair of vice-grips .

I got in to try out the lights and the right signal lights, both front and back, just stayed lit no matter if you wanted them on or not, as well the right signal indicator on the dashboard stayed lit.

So I fiddled with pulling some fuses and when I pulled the 20 Amp Lighting SW I found that in the interior it seems to work fine, that is when I put the right signal on the right signal flashes on the dashboard, but when I look outside the 4-ways are on. Also, there is no dashboard illumination except when the signal is on and then it flashes with the signal.

Either way, with or without that fuse something is wrong. Any ideas what it could be? Did it occur in the accident? (Remember everything seemed alright during my first test) Or did this occur from pulling the fog lights maybe?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2010, 08:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Newbie electrical question

iirc the fog lights are earthed,try grounding any lose wires and see what happens
Old 19 Oct 2010, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Sounds like a bad earth as said. Maybe you forgot to reattach a wire to the bodywork somewhere
Old 19 Oct 2010, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

That would make sense. I just pulled the outlet out from the back of the foglight and zip tied it up so it wasn't dangling. How would I go about grounding it? I know you can ground to anywhere on the frame, but what do I have to ground?