Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

'04 Impreza Remote problem - non functioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jul 2010, 03:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi all,

I'm new here and have searched for an answer to this problem with no luck. Please help if you can with suggestions.

I have a 2004 Impreza 2.0 . Without any prior warning the remote has stopped locking / unlocking the doors - the spare key also fails to remotely lock/unlock.

I have replaced the battery several months ago when this first happened, however nothing has changed. I have read that the key fob may require reprogramming - but I cannot find out how to do this.

I have tried the 'Stop-On-Stop' key turn 10 times, and also tried plugging together a black and blue-black wire located in the dirvers footwell - which I also found online. No joy at all.

Does anyone have any suggestion of what I can do?

The key has a 4 digit code inside it on the circuit board, the spare key has a 5-digit code on a small metal tag attached. Also the name Alpha Corp, a Subaru logo and COJ12 is printed on the key fobs. They are square in shape with two buttons (one grey - lock, one black - unlock).

It's getting really tiresome trying to find out what I should do.

Thanks in advance for any suggetsions.

Chris
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2010, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: '04 Impreza Remote problem - non functioning

You could try an Emergency Override Using the Multi-Function Keypad.

Link: Sigma M30 alarm system.

Old 01 Jul 2010, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Sounds like the key and fob needs reprogramming back to the alarm. Should be a section in the manual about how to do it. Had to do my key fob last year after changing a battery, it was a pain in the ass. As pete said emergency overide should work for now. Subaru dealer would sort it but it will cost
Old 01 Jul 2010, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for your suggestions guys. Unfortunately, i don't have a multifunction keypad and there's nothing in the original manual to help. Any other ideas?
Old 01 Jul 2010, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

If your using the Sigma alarm your defo going to need the keypad at some point mate. Quick look on ebay found this New Subaru SACC 3463 Sigma MK1 Keypad on eBay (end time 27-Jul-10 23:43:46 BST) it would certainly help, seems it was only the M30 system that came with the keypad other than that I'd let an auto-electrician have a look
Old 01 Jul 2010, 11:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hmmm,

I'm really not sure that I have a Sigma system installed.

Myself and the vehicle are in Australia - I moved here last year (not the car)'. As I said, the key fob has Alpha Corp' printed on it, as does a light grey unit located far up behind the fascia (with the words 'Keyless Entry System' also).

I'm assuming that UK models have a Sigma system (and multifunction keypad?) fitted as standard. My Australian '04 Impreza has never had a kepad - is this an aftermarket addition only, to allow reprogramming?

Unless 'Alpha Corp' somehow signifies that a Sigma system is fitted, I think I may be looking at a different issue here.

Does anyone have experience of this Apha Corp, Subara factory fitted system?

Sorry if I am asking stupid questions - trying to make sense of it all.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 02 Jul 2010, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

post a pic of your remote fob up see if it looks like one we know
Old 02 Jul 2010, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

As above pics might shed some light... Hmmm UK key will have a label... Type: (numbers) Subaru (UK) Limited. If that's come off then beneath will be Alpha Corp COJ12. If there is no keypad you could try having a look if there is a white connector behind a trim panel on the passenger side door post in the foot well. When you open the panel the connector should not be connected, connect it, then close the doors of the car and press the open button once. This should make the door locks click, your door key should be programmed (don't forget to undo the connector afterwards). Found this info on Subaru website, it's a long shot but might work
Old 04 Jul 2010, 11:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks,

as I said the Impreza is bought and owned in Australia.
There is a COJ12 code on the key fob as mentioned above.

I also found the suggestion to look for the two white connectors. I found them inside the driver's side (RHD) door-pillar panel. I connected them and followed the instructions with no result - will replace battery and try again just in case!

Will try to post a picture of the key fob tomorrow.
Old 04 Jul 2010, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

spotted this
Subaru Remote Key Fob 0891 COJ12 (Ref No55) on eBay (end time 06-Jul-10 20:01:30 BST)
Old 05 Jul 2010, 02:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Here is a picture of the key fob - I have a spare which is exactly the same.

Haven't tried a new battery recently, so will try that again, then I will try to reprogram again using the white connectors.

I did replace the battery a few months ago after the locking system failed, however it seems that it was fitted the wrong way round (flat, watch-style) until last week when I checked it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05072010938.jpg (78.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 05072010939.jpg (112.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 27 Jul 2010, 02:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hmmm,

I have now tried replacing the battery in both remote units with fresh ones (tested with multimeter to be sure).

No immediate response with the new batteries installed, so after much trawling of the internet to find a relevant method to reprogram my vehicle's remote sytem, I found and followed these instructions:

1: All doors closed except drivers
2: Connect two white connectors
3: Sit on drivers seat and close the door
4: Lock the door by hand central switch
5: Unlock the door by remote and lock it by remote immediately after. It will actually do little cycle, so when u unlock first time it will immediately lock it self up again , and same thing happens when u press button for second time.
6: Unlock the door by hand central switch
7: Disconnect two connectors
Your keyless system should be working now.

No response when attempting 'step 5'.

Other than paying the Subaru dealer (which I cannot currently afford) to sort this out, I have run out of methods.

Can anybody suggest what I might do to fix this?

Thanks!
Old 19 Sep 2010, 06:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi,

Since replacing my main battery, the buttons on the key have not worked for me either. Did you find a solution? I have also tried the 2 main methods listed on the net without success, but I think these might be for the US which has different systems as the pics of the remotes look different.

Should the keys need resyncing after a main power failure or not?I am sure there would be more posts if this was the case. Maybe when I replaced the battery a fuse went or even the control box?
Old 26 Nov 2012, 01:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

was this ever resolved?, i have a similar problem where my key will not open the doors by pressing the open button, i have to manually open the door with the key, and wen i do it only opens the drivers door, when i press the lock switch on the drivers side it only give a beep sound and nothing else happens, can somebody help plz...
Old 27 Nov 2012, 01:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

ok so the problem was caused by a defective Integrated unit, which can be found here 02 Subaru IMPREZA WRX Integrated Unit 88281 FE020 R9856 | eBay