Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

Drive-by-wire questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jun 2010, 05:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Drive-by-wire questions

Hello, forumers! I'm new here, but I shall reserve an introduction for the introductions forum (should I stick around for long enough, or at a later date).

I am considering buying a Subaru Impreza as my first car. However, I have an unnatural hatred for driving assists.

As you may know, drive-by-wire has been regularly abused by the auto industry to goof about with our throttle inputs, allowing the computer to decide what would be the most pleasant and fuel-efficient way to go about accelerating approximately the way you decided. Most driver's assists can be turned off; this one cannot without modifying the afflicted car.

So, my questions: Which Impreza was the first to "feature" drive-by-wire? If you own one of these, have you noticed it? If so, what does it do? Either way, is there any way to negate its effects (IE: through the ECU or otherwise)?

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide, and hopefully this will be a useful topic for others with similar questions.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2010, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: Drive-by-wire questions

drive by wire is a pain in arse even when mapped, alot of folks ditch it when they start doing heavy modding
Old 23 Jun 2010, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Huh. I thought it was an issue thanks to computer mapping, but I didn't know it was more difficult than that. How do they replace the electric throttle body with a mechanical one, and how does the ECU react to it? Moreover, what effects does it have on the way the car drives? (Were they editing our throttle input back in 2004?)
(PS: - You wouldn't know, then, which was the first Impreza to have drive-by-wire, then? From what I can see, it was the 2004 STi, and then all models of the 2005 - but I'm seeing a sequential gearbox 2000 model with drive-by-wire. What the hell?)

Last edited by Barcode; 23 Jun 2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

the truth is im not honestly sure, i know theres a slight lag on it. as far as getting rid i think as you say you have to switch it out for a manual cable system. the exact ins and outs im not sure of
Old 24 Jun 2010, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I see. Thank you anyway.

Doing some more research, it seems the 2004 WRX may have been the first production car with ECThrottle, but the 2000 WRC-prepped Impreza was the first to incorporate it.

Again, still not completely sure. Are there any databases I could check for this sort of thing? I even looked through the brochures provided by this site.

Last edited by Barcode; 24 Jun 2010 at 12:12 PM.