Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

Battery going dead after 10hours

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 May 2010, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Battery going dead after 10hours

Working on an Impreza Turbo 1999 past couple of weeks problem seems to be battery goes dead after round 10 hours or so owner put 2 new batteries into it thinking it was them but since then still going dead tested alternator and voltage seems one minute ok round the 13.9-14.1v with load but next minute the voltage seems to go down as low as 12.5v with load heard the surging in like power when engine turned off from the alternator so seemed the alternator was the problem had it out a few days ago replaced the voltage regulator in it the brushes and bearings and all sorted so put the post up to help others if they have the same problem check the alternator might be your problem
Old 26 May 2010, 07:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Battery going dead after 10hours

And a lot cheaper than buying a new altenator !!
Old 26 May 2010, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-WRX-Import View Post
And a lot cheaper than buying a new altenator !!
True fella got a price for a new one 450
Old 26 May 2010, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Old 26 May 2010, 08:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Send a message via AIM to SCOOBYDEUX

My battery goes dead after 3- 5 days. Have replaced the alternator with an STi one, replaced the starter too and had battery checked. Works great for 3 -5 days then starting gets sluggish and then it will not start at all. Any ideas? Costing me a fortune and getting me nowhere.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2010, 01:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOOBYDEUX View Post
My battery goes dead after 3- 5 days. Have replaced the alternator with an STi one, replaced the starter too and had battery checked. Works great for 3 -5 days then starting gets sluggish and then it will not start at all. Any ideas? Costing me a fortune and getting me nowhere.
Check the earth strap from batt going to the ground on the car and get a multi meter and check to see if they voltage it should read 0volts but if anything over 0volts their is somthing draining the power as you already know so could be either a faulty earth on the car somewhere, also check connections on electrical systems, check to see if your front lights that the plastic connector not burned away and causing a fault, check voltage in all wires in the fusebox's and see whats drawing more power and try to compare it from a wiring diagram,could be a sticking relay also it could be a faulty ignition switch Brett said this to me while back on another Impreza I was looking at and the ignition switch was faulty keeping the live 12v going to switch when it was switched off so was draining it after a couple of days, the switch was the last thing I thought and it was thatcheers Brett, head was wrecked over it, keep at it you find it nothing better satisfaction than finding the problem also the alternator the sti one is it the right ampage? e.g. 80amp make sure the alternator is in good condition as that classic impreza turbo I changed that alternator in,their was only 50k miles on the car and he rarely drives it same guy so you be surprised, lot of what ifs their so lot to look for let us know how it goes
Old 27 May 2010, 01:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-WRX-Import View Post
450->380 the robbers
Old 27 May 2010, 07:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

How much do you use the car too ? If you're only doing short runs the battery is never going to be fully charged.
Old 30 May 2010, 12:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Send a message via AIM to SCOOBYDEUX

One of my headlights was dimmer than the other and I checked the connections on them and the plastic on one of them was melted away and the connector was rusty too. I cleaned it up a bit and it has been working fine since but I think this could and hopefully is the problem - thanks for the advice.
Old 30 May 2010, 01:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
One of my headlights was dimmer than the other and I checked the connections on them and the plastic on one of them was melted away and the connector was rusty too. I cleaned it up a bit and it has been working fine since but I think this could and hopefully is the problem - thanks for the advice.
What you could do their in that case then would put a multi meter on the connections they should read 0 volts power off obviously if it reads anything over you know that the problem then it might be reading like 1 volt or 2volts too low of a voltage to light the bulb but enough of voltage to drain battery over a couple of days also it could be just an intermitent short so you would have to test it now and again as that alternator was intermitent thats why it confused the hell out of me

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 30 May 2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 30 May 2010, 08:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Get yourself a pair of snipe nose pliers you have a loose terminal( happens if people change bulbs and are a little heavy handed etc)
The 0v(GND) is a bit loose probably and the loose connection is generating heat,
Pull the plug off the back and try to close the connections up a little so they are tight when you push them on,
loose Neutrals(0v/ground on cars) are the biggest cause of house fires and the same thing can happen with cars as there isnt actually a short circuit the light still works and the loose connection keeps getting hotter and hotter but the fuse wont blow.