Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

Auto Lock Has Mind of Its Own

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 May 2010, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Auto Lock Has Mind of Its Own

Have owned a '97 Impreza for 10 years and just love it. Have 69K miles to go before I will consider getting rid of it (200K). But for several months, the auto lock is driiving me crazy. It goes on whenever it decides to. I prefer to keep it unlocked and have set the Child Safety latch to off. I am disabled and want to pull shopping bags out of the rear passenger door and onto my lap (in a wheelchair) so I can bring them into the house. But the majority of the time, the door is locked, even though I've manually flipped the switch to off after shopping.

Sometimes, I can actually hear and feel the electronic signal that is locking the doors as I drive. Today, I unlocked it before opening the front door and by the time I'd pulled on the lever to open the door, it had locked. The engine was off. Other times, I consciously unlock it and it stays unlocked for over 24 hours or more. I never know when I go out, whether it will be locked or unlocked. I read other threads on this subject, which implied there was a logical sequence involving remote devices or alarms. Yet I have neith. There doesn't seem to be any pattern or even a trigger causing this to happen. I used to think rough roads or bumps might be causing it. But it now happens when the car is idle.

Maybe it is just a matter of accepting this quirk since it is likely to be costly a problem to repair (like the trunk not opening without a key) on a 13 year old car. But if there is something basic I can check out (the fuses look fine) to erase this irritation from my life, I'd like to know.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2010, 01:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Auto Lock Has Mind of Its Own

It might just be a relay thats sticking on and off for the locks Id check this first