Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

Serious Stereo/Battery Problem 2007 Hawkeye

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Apr 2010, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thumbs down Serious Stereo/Battery Problem 2007 Hawkeye

Hi everyone, I hope some one can help me out with my problem. The cars a 2007 WRX 2.5L, with an aftermarkerket Thatcham alrm fitted (no issues ever).

After a "spirited" final run after a 150 mile journey I arrived home, let the engine run for a while and shut down fine. The next morning I got in and the engine only just started due to teh battery being being nearly flat, which I thought was very odd after a long run (I shut off the lights etc the night before as normal). I then noticed that the stereo wouldn't turn on. The dispaly wouldn't light up and the stereo didnt seem to be powering up. After fiddling the CD did eject though. Also the red power light on the right of the stereo was flashing irregularly.

Whatever has gone wrong seems to be causing the battery to flatten very quickly, and i checked the stero fuse, the alternator fuse and all are ok. All other electrical systems seem to be working ok. Engine and alarm are also all working fine.

One point to add is that I was carrying a fairly heavy loose box in the boot which may have been banging around in the boot under hard accelleration and braking just before this occurred? I i did hear it bang around.

If anyone has any ideas I would be really greatfull!

Could a connector in the boot area have been damaged and caused this? Or could the stereo itself have blown and be shorting out and flattening the battery?

Any ideas how I remove the stereo (I cant see any removal slots)?

Thanks people!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2010, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Re: Serious Stereo/Battery Problem 2007 Hawkeye

Does sound like the Stereo to me....... can you not remove the stereo and see if problem goes over the next few days....

Have you got the CD changer in the boot.... maybe box has damaged that wiring if you have

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 06 Apr 2010, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi, thanks, no the cd is the standard double din unit in the dash....
Old 07 Apr 2010, 08:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Check the earth wiring to the stereo. I remember having a similar problem with my old golf and it was down to a bad earth connection. For some reason it would drain the battery over night