Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

Turbo Timer/ Alarm Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2010, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Turbo Timer/ Alarm Issue

Thought id post this in here as there's a lot more savvy with wires and electronics. Ive seen a lot of cars without turbo timers, its something id be looking to do and get installed if i was to buy a car without one. The car il be fitting it to is a classic shape Imprezza 98-01. Is it an expensive job to get one fitted? Can you fit them with cars that have only the original cat1 alarm? I have seen a lot of Impreza boys with these Clicky! any Good?

Ive heard stories that your car wont lock and arm if the engines running? Someone can still get in your car even though you've locked and armed it whilst turbo timer is still running? It plays havoc with ECU's? You can lock your car but your alarm doesn't arm? Anybody good to clear me up on this and tell me whats myths and what right? Just trying to find out whats the best thing to do and if fitting ones worth it or will I need alarm to be fitted at same time?

Cheers
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2010, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Turbo Timer/ Alarm Issue

Hi, TT are a ok but I have to say Ive not had 1 on any of my 3 Scoobies,
I tend to take it steady(off boost) for a few miles on the way home.
hth
Old 05 Mar 2010, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

yep steady last few miles is far better, turbo timer will only circulate the engine oil and coolant. all the other fluids wont flow so hot areas will stay hot, cool areas will rapidly cool.
Old 05 Mar 2010, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Mines is going to be a daily driver, so I am just thinking for the times maybe if i am running late for work, or get somewhere quickly on emergency, or get to somewhere before it closes etc?

Not saying its going to be all the time but just saying there will be occasions i cant sit in the car and wait for it to cool down after I have rushed to get somewhere and i don't want a buggered turbo just because of it being cooked when a turbo timer may have prevented it?
Old 05 Mar 2010, 01:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

When ive got mine turned on its only set for 30sec. Thats about all i can be botherd to wait. Much better to just drive steady for last mile
Old 05 Mar 2010, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

So what your saying there is you cant lock and arm your car while the tubo timer is on and running down your car? If this is the case, im defo not getting one!
Old 05 Mar 2010, 01:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

In the winter i set the timer for about 5 mins & go in doors & wait till its warm. I take the keys out & lock it. No probs
Old 05 Mar 2010, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I knew that was one benefit from a turbo timer at least for the wintry mornings and believe me it is wintry up here, feel like I have been scraping my windows since last august, haha!

But again are you manually locking your car or are you using the fob to lock and arm the car?
Old 05 Mar 2010, 01:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

I dont have central locking so use the key. Sorry didnt think about that
Old 05 Mar 2010, 02:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Ach, its kool.

Basically i don't want to get a turbo timer fitted if I am not able to remote lock the car and arm the alarm so I am able to walk away if I want? And in the same case i don't want to be able to remote lock the car while the turbo timer is still on but it doesn't arm the car as the engine is running then your left with a car that's locked but not armed once the timer goes off?

As In my opinion that defeats the purpose of getting a turbo timer if you have to wait for it to switch off and stop the engine for you to then arm it and lock it surely?
Old 05 Mar 2010, 02:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

I tend to leave my car in gear anyway so a TT wouldnt allow me to do that.
Old 07 Mar 2010, 02:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Found out some interesting info about Turbo timers and alarm set ups. majority of descent alarms (clifford, Toad, etc) actually auto-arm themselves after 30 seconds.

Even the standard factory sigma alarms auto arm themselves after 30 seconds too. So while your turbo timer runs down you can use your fob to lock the car, but obviously as the engines running it wont arm the the alarm on the car, but as soon as the timer cuts the engine off the car will auto arm itself after 30 seconds anyway.

Apparently the only downside is that because the car had to auto-alarm itself you have to press the open button on the fob twice to open the car. Which is something I can live with certainly.

So I think I am going to get one installed, i hear what everyone is saying about if you just take it easy for last mile to allow everything to wind down is just as good, but i would really kick myself if I cooked a turbo by being in a rush to get somewhere.