Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

Car battery Specification please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Feb 2010, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Car battery Specification please

The battery on my 53 plate WRX keeps going flat. Not sure if its the original battery or not but the information on top of the battery is

005L
12v
510amps
AH (20h) 60amps.

Rang two local motor accessories and they are saying that the battery for my car is =

390 amps

Not to sure on what all the above means. The car is standand - I'm not running any extra music amps/in car entertainment etc.

Would like your opinions if the battery they are suggesting will be suitable.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2010, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Car battery Specification please

390 seems a bit small,
CAR BATTERY 005 Subaru Impreza Coupe 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 1993 on eBay (end time 12-Mar-10 16:16:02 GMT)
Old 26 Feb 2010, 10:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Thanks for the quick reply. I think it's a bit low too. Going to take the battery to one of the places now so they can test it and hopefully get something sorted.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 10:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

have a unipart 60AH HD 005L battery on my 02 WRX (GBA005)

Old 26 Feb 2010, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Hi, where are u located only I have a Big Yuasa spare.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 12:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

think mine might be dying as well
Old 27 Feb 2010, 09:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Just a brief update. Got the battery tested and they said a cell had gone. Unfortunately they didnt have a similar powered battery to sell me. Tried another place and got the same battery as my faulty one. Fingers crossed it's now sorted.

Thanks to all for your advice and info.
Old 04 Mar 2010, 08:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

is yours a weekend car or a daily driver. i found out last week that the battery sat cold soaking for weeks at a time actualy kills the battery itself. way round it is to fit a tricle charger (plug it in when you park the car up in the garage) and keeps the bat topped up (switched itself on and off when batery needs charging or is full)
Old 04 Mar 2010, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
is yours a weekend car or a daily driver. i found out last week that the battery sat cold soaking for weeks at a time actualy kills the battery itself. way round it is to fit a tricle charger (plug it in when you park the car up in the garage) and keeps the bat topped up (switched itself on and off when batery needs charging or is full)
Battery jackets also help
Old 04 Mar 2010, 12:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
Battery jackets also help
aye, but from what i was told theres no substitute for using the car regularly lol
Old 04 Mar 2010, 09:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Well up to when the problem started I used it on a 50 mile round trip nearly every other day. Finished work on a Saturday and had nearly a week off. Was using the trusty & reliable 'V' fiesta most of the time after that. Kept the subaru in the garage and got it out on the following thursday (5 days later). Thought I best get it out to warm it up and it started perfectly. After 10-15 mins I put it away.

2 days later (Saturday) went to start the car on a nice and early on a cold frosty/icey morning and nothing. Not good when going to work on the first set of four shifts. Got the fiesta and jump started the subaru no problem and took it 25 miles to work (via the motorway).

9 hours later went to start it to go home and I nearly turned over and started but not quite. Work friend again jump started the subaru and drive home. Once at home I let it sit on the drive then went back out to it to start it - it started first time. Then gave it two hours and started again - fine. Put it away in the garage and went to start it the next morning - fine.

So I ran it every day for 3 days - to and from work. Went onto my days off and again seemed to be ok. About 4 hours before starting a late shift went to start the car and nothing. This is when I took the battery to local motor accessories shop. The guy behind the counter had a hand held meter and the battery was reading fine (12v????). He then flicked a switch to simulate the power needed for the car to start and the guage went well into the red. From this the guy said that there was a cell gone in the battery.

As said above I've got a new battery and it's starting at the moment - but I don't trust it.!!
Old 05 Mar 2010, 12:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx_ryk View Post
Well up to when the problem started I used it on a 50 mile round trip nearly every other day. Finished work on a Saturday and had nearly a week off. Was using the trusty & reliable 'V' fiesta most of the time after that. Kept the subaru in the garage and got it out on the following thursday (5 days later). Thought I best get it out to warm it up and it started perfectly. After 10-15 mins I put it away.

2 days later (Saturday) went to start the car on a nice and early on a cold frosty/icey morning and nothing. Not good when going to work on the first set of four shifts. Got the fiesta and jump started the subaru no problem and took it 25 miles to work (via the motorway).

9 hours later went to start it to go home and I nearly turned over and started but not quite. Work friend again jump started the subaru and drive home. Once at home I let it sit on the drive then went back out to it to start it - it started first time. Then gave it two hours and started again - fine. Put it away in the garage and went to start it the next morning - fine.

So I ran it every day for 3 days - to and from work. Went onto my days off and again seemed to be ok. About 4 hours before starting a late shift went to start the car and nothing. This is when I took the battery to local motor accessories shop. The guy behind the counter had a hand held meter and the battery was reading fine (12v????). He then flicked a switch to simulate the power needed for the car to start and the guage went well into the red. From this the guy said that there was a cell gone in the battery.

As said above I've got a new battery and it's starting at the moment - but I don't trust it.!!

sould be reading the amps as far as im aware, scoobs had pretty shite start ampage, 480 from cold start so im told, the battery on mine is fubar and giving 98 .

to put it into context ford's 1.6 engine uses the same amapage battery. compared to my 2.8 beemer which has 800.

aparently evo's are the same as scoobs for it. Also putting a battery in with more bollox isn't an option either.

when i get a new batter im having a trickle charger circuit built in as per my last post