Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

misfires and wont start when damp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Feb 2010, 11:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

misfires and wont start when damp

Hi. Can anyone help me?
I have a 93 wrx import running pretty standard other than exhaust. It has run fine all winter until I have needed to use it to get me to work. Last week it rained heavy and I couldn't get it to start. I pushed it into my garage and left it over night. The next morning it started but was misfiring badly. It has misfired since and I cant drive it to a garage to get it on a computer. Ive changed the coil packs with no change to symptoms, checked the resistance and power to the ecu. They were fine.

Today it has been outside again in the rain and just wouldn't start.

Has anyone had this problem and could shed some light on the problem. I really can't afford a big repair bill as my daily drivers cam belt went last week and im looking at a 1500 repair bill for that. This said I feel I may have to break my scoob to get some money back.

Sorry for the essay.
Any information greatly appreciated
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2010, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: misfires and wont start when damp

Ok, it only does it when it's out in the rain ? The engine doesn't get wet, unless you've taken the cover off from under the two bonnet vents ?
So we're looking at the damp getting in, my first guess would be this is electrical.
First thing that springs to mind is leads breaking down, but you say you changed the coil packs ? Thats really expensive for a first move to make ?
This may take you a little while but I'd pull it apart bit by bit and clean, dry and replace.
Old 18 Feb 2010, 02:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

As above also do you have a cone filter as the rain can drip down from bonnet vents, and was thinking water getting onto cone filter and taking water into engine?
Old 18 Feb 2010, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

I know at least 4 people that took covers of grills & wonderd why car would not start after its been raining.They kept telling me it was for more air flow
Old 18 Feb 2010, 09:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

agree with the chaps above
Old 18 Feb 2010, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi thanks for all you answers.
I took the vents off to polish them as they had faided. I put the winter guards back on when I put the vents back on. The big vent is where the waters getting in. So its soaked the back right of the engine.

Even when it is dry it misfires so badly its not driveable. It was left in my hetated garage 4 days to dry out and still misfires/backfires badly.

I have no ht leads as it has individual coil packs for each plug. Ive removed each 1 and put a spare plug in and tested for a spark. Sometimes they will spark fine sometimes it sparks once and stops. It is very random. Ive tried numerous plugs with the same outcome.

I know where the water was getting in and I have sealed it with sealant. Seems I have shorted something out. Im going to strip the top of the engine (inlet manifold etc) this weekend to check the wiring properly for breaks and damage.

I was going to try and get an ignitor from a breaker to see if this has gone. Im getting ignition live to the c/packs. so im only guessing it isn't getting the signal to fire.

Any further information greatly appreciated.

P.s I have the standard air box fitted.

Last edited by jods007; 18 Feb 2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 18 Feb 2010, 05:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Quote:
It has misfired since and I cant drive it to a garage to get it on a computer
Assuming you mean get the ecu read for fault codes, you dont have to conect to a computer to cheak the ecu for fault codes.
Link: ECU diagnostics, fault codes and reset

Hope that helps
Old 18 Feb 2010, 11:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I will try to find the wires tommorow.

Thank you
Old 23 Feb 2010, 06:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re:help!!! misfires and wont start when damp

Hi all. My scoob has gone from bad to worse. It will no longer start at all. Ive changed the ignitor, Took the engine loom off checked it all re tape'd it up an refitted it. Still wont start. The cel light is flashing steady indicating no problems.

All though I havent managed to start it since I removed the battery. So I guess it will have no stored codes.

Can anybody give me a check list to go through as I am now scratching my head.

Has anybody had problems with the engine flooding with fuel causing it not to start. I say this as it stinks of fuel and the plugs are soaking every time I remove them.

Any information greatly appreciated.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 08:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

could be the plug to the ICV,iirc grey 6 pin block under the intercooler,give that a go,as i sounds like the probs me and a mate had after an engine build a few years back...
Old 23 Feb 2010, 11:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

spray the leads in wd40 or equivalent leave it over night. Its a temporary fix but you will no it is def plug leads if it better tomorrow!
Old 24 Feb 2010, 06:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248

Check... is fuel being delivered by the pump?

Check... is there a spark at the plug?

Check... is air being delivered to the cylinders?

Check... is the engine compressing the air/fuel?

If yes to the above then it should start...

Keep it simple... if all else fails... call a garage that you can trust and ask them to come to your aid

Good luck keep us posted
Old 24 Feb 2010, 01:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

You said in one of your earlier posts that there is fuel gettting through, and you also say that you have checked all of the plugs, leads, coil packs and replaced too. You would need to lose compression in 2 or more cylinders for it not to start so I would have to say air ????
Just as a test try taking the filter off and spray a load of cold start in there, it should start even just for a few seconds.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 03:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Check ignition for loose or cut wires check the earth strap for gearbox and engine also proberbly not the problem but check starter motor