Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

Rear fog light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jan 2010, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Question Rear fog light

IS it possible to use one of the reversing light's as a fog light if you use a red bulb?and how would you wire it up ??:
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2010, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Rear fog light

yup it is possible to do

if the veihicle is fitted with an aftermarket rear fog,just remove the unit from the bumper or where ever it's hanging from,snip the wires and connect to the drivers side reverse bulb holder,insert red bulb n job's a good un..
Old 26 Jan 2010, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

yep got mine set up same way no issues passes mot fine so long as switch inside car illuminates on operation.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

If you use a couple of diodes you could make it work for both, It would still light up red but would come on with the other reverse light, and then just the red side when you flick the fog light switch.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 07:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Cool Re: Rear fog light

thanx chaps,will it be ok with the white lense ???
Old 14 Feb 2010, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Im in the same boat if anyone can help. Ive got the switch wired up and it lights up. But im not sure which wire on the back of the connector to send down the car to attach to the bulb? I do not have an aftermarket fog light, i just want to use the reversing light bulb holder. This is alrady earthed at the back of the car, so i guess i snip the white cable that attaches into the terminal for the rear cluster and run a cable to the back of the switch in the front? Im not too clever with wiring :-) appreciate any help i can get.
Old 14 Feb 2010, 06:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Send a message via MSN to SiV6Si

Guys read this thread, It explains how to make one of your Reversing lights into a Fog Light.

Rear Clusters
Old 15 Feb 2010, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxdiablo View Post
thanx chaps,will it be ok with the white lense ???
Theyre nowhere near as bright as a proper foglight but theyre ok,the lens isnt mirrored like a proper foglight lens,dont help on mine as ive got a 21w red silvatec bulb in there so ya cant see a red bulb through the clear lens so its a bit less bright.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 01:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethDalley View Post
Im in the same boat if anyone can help. Ive got the switch wired up and it lights up. But im not sure which wire on the back of the connector to send down the car to attach to the bulb? I do not have an aftermarket fog light, i just want to use the reversing light bulb holder. This is alrady earthed at the back of the car, so i guess i snip the white cable that attaches into the terminal for the rear cluster and run a cable to the back of the switch in the front? Im not too clever with wiring :-) appreciate any help i can get.
Just want the live connector when switch is lit up(obviously helps if youve got a 12v tester ive just got a sml screwdriver with crocodile clip to earth that lights up when it see`s 12v)run wire from terminal to rear,if ya can test which is live on reverse light bulbholder(will be the one that goes to the pin at the back of the bulbholder that contacts with the very end of the bulb/the sides of the bulb are earth)cut reverse light wire then join your switching live from the switch.leave reverse light wire off but tape up well or put a connector on the end /tape/tie out the way-remember foglight has to go in drivers side rear.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 07:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

UK Dave, ive fitted a switch in the front which lights up and goes off when switched. Ive ran a cable down the car from the wires in the back of the switch, but im not sure which one to use? I couldnt seem to get any of them to operate the bulb? Are you saying that i need to find out which wire on the terminal in the rear cluster is a live one and attach the wire from the front switch to the bulb and then earth the bulb? any help would be very welcomed.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 07:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Send a message via MSN to SiV6Si

Did you can not have a fog light fitted in the first place ?
Old 15 Feb 2010, 08:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

There was a bulb in there, but due to a water leak it had rusted itself to the bulb holder, when i tried to remove the red bulb it smashed! there was a male adaptor on the brown cable, i found a female adaptor attached to a long piece of cable that ran all the way through the car and ended up in an adapter behind the glove box? I couldnt get my head round this at all?
Old 16 Feb 2010, 08:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethDalley View Post
UK Dave, ive fitted a switch in the front which lights up and goes off when switched. Ive ran a cable down the car from the wires in the back of the switch, but im not sure which one to use? I couldnt seem to get any of them to operate the bulb? Are you saying that i need to find out which wire on the terminal in the rear cluster is a live one and attach the wire from the front switch to the bulb and then earth the bulb? any help would be very welcomed.
Like ya said earlier,the reverse light bulb holder will have the earth there already, the existing live wire to the bulb holder for the reversing light needs to be cut(leave enough wire to join to your wire from fog light switch)/isolated by either taping up/fitting a connector just so it cant short out on anything when you select reverse and becomes live.put the reverse light wire out the way or tape to the loom/whatever so you`ll have say an inch or 2 of wire out of the bulb holder where the live feed to the reverse light had been, join the switching live from your foglight switch to what was the live input to make it work.

Had only referenced the bulb itself to try and help ya with the bulbholder if you`ve no 12v tester pop the bulb out the outer metal part the bulb fits in is earth the pin at the end thats sprung is live.
If you could see which wire went to which you`d then know live from earth without a tester.

Last edited by uk dave; 16 Feb 2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 09:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Technical_Bob

Brown and yellow wire at the cluster should be the 12v from the reverse light switch,
If you cut this and pop a diode in you can retain the reverse light still, It will light up red (as ur replacing the bulb for the red of the fog light) but then it still does both.
hth