Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

aftermarket knoclink wires?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Oct 2009, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

aftermarket knoclink wires?

hi guys fitted an aftermarket knocklink with the 4 bulbs but dunno if working properly. i bolted it to manifold passanger side as close to block as poss but anyways. how do i know if working properly. im left with a black an red wire which is pos an neg. ive connected the neg to ciggy lighter an dunno which to connect red to. if i connect to red in system the green lights up when lights are switched on but if connect to power supply (red an yellow wire on ciggy lighter) the light comes on when ignition is turned on. is this right if anybody has done it. i dont want to screw the car to see if works although ive heard the green light on bottom stays on. cheers for help guys
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2009, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to woodo
Re: aftermarket knoclink wires?

it should use an ignition live so in your case the red and yellow wire, but if i was you id use your stereo ignition wire, so not to blow fuses etc. havnt you an instruction manual to help?
Old 01 Nov 2009, 03:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

no mate it was second hand with no instructions but its all sorte now. got it working but next is to find a suitable place on the block instead of manifold. cheers mate
Old 02 Nov 2009, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to woodo

you thought of removing air con compressor, would leave a nice flat gap?
Old 02 Nov 2009, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

nocklinks need fitting and setting up correctly or there a waste of time, money and a complete false sence of security
Old 02 Nov 2009, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

really. how can they be set up. only thing i see is a sensitivity screw on top an turne it max. air con will be removed soon to reduce weight lol
Old 02 Nov 2009, 10:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

If you have the sensitivity screw set it to maximum and drive. While you're driving under normal conditions you should only see green LED's flickering and that's fine. If you have ambers flickering or all of them while normal driving then it's set too sensitive. As you start to rise up the rev range the green LED's stop flickering so much and just stay mostly on. It's then that you may start to see amber LED's flicker slightly and that's fine but only at fairly high revs i.e. 5500-6500rpm. It's when the amber lights start to flicker more frequently and are on the verge of staying on that you really need to back right off quick smart!! If you light the last LED once or twice it's usually too late and something will have gone pop by then.

It doesn't matter if your car has the mother of all perfect remaps because if you hold the revs too high for too long your engine will det and go bang. High rpm's is one of the biggest killers of scoob engines and too many people hold high revs for too long. Learn to short shift (changing gears at peak power) and that will help keep your engine in one piece as well as keeping you in the turbo's sweet spot.

If you use the knock detector wisely it will help keep you out of trouble. The only other safety device you have complete control of is your right foot, use that wisely too
Old 04 Nov 2009, 10:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

cheers for the info mate. it is set to max an took it to 6k an had the bottom green led flickering an that was about it. i dont tend to cane or take on track days but keeping it there just helps me see that the engine is pretty safe an as long as me oil changes are up to date i shud be fine. cheers mate