Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

Help, Im a git....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Oct 2009, 08:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Exclamation Help, Im a git....

Okay wont elaborate but dick head here decided to take out the cluster... Dont try putting in while dials....and replace the bulbs Anyhow I am now getting a newcluster, Ive killed two in 24 hours.....

Problem, I have power to all buttons (possibly rear demister (light suddenly not working.), door miirrors, and hazards) I have plugged in all the switches and all the wiring to the dash are taped up as not to risk a short, until new cluster arrives). Indicator, fog/driving lights work fine. Now I took the steering column shroud off last night when I was trying to get (The now unsalvegable cluster back in), I gave up, car was fine abd running, Tnen this morning I went to the car to remove said cluster, tape up the connectors, and plug the dash surrond buttons in, and when I went to start the car it fired and ran, but I noticed the wipers were slow, (like a flat battery), I rechecked all the buttons and indicator, all working..... turned the car off, and tried to restart it, and she reacted like the lights had been on and the battery was flat.... Then kaput!

Well I came up to the house for a coffee and a ciggy, went back down to the car and it started ... Hmm I thouught, turned it off and tried again this time letting it run for ten minutes , tiurned it off tried to restart, same thing, rrrrrr, rrrrr, dead.....

Okay I thought somthing like a stray screw earthing, on the indicator wiper arms / wiper modules, no not that, any loose wires inadvertantly pulled out?, cluster electrical connectors covered to stop and earth, other buttons in place and working, interior lights and stereo okay and off , yep all there.....

Now the car ran last night, no issue without a cluster, and nothing pluged in lights worked etc, just didnt know how much gas I had, whether the engine was too hot, or the bits required to see if car was legal etc.

My problem, is that there is a problem and I cant see what it is, at one point the last time I turned it over something, and made it act like I was out of gas, staggered, pah pah pah, tried some juice, and died then would not start.

Anyhow, lesson learned dont do things you know not alot about, dont f around with the cluster and really white dials were a waste of time and money... plus has caused a big problem.

Any one have any suggestions on what the problem may be? Thanks all

Last edited by Kiwi; 25 Oct 2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2009, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Re: Help, Im a git....

sounds like u've had fun!! may jus b a coincidence that u've took ur dash out,and another problems occured. cud be a bad connetion on ur starter or altenator or batt??
Old 25 Oct 2009, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Could be Eddie, thanks, coincidence does seem to play a major part, Im wondering if there is a short somewhere, say from a steering shroud screw hitting a wiire, earthing the wire now its exposed ... hey presto TROUBLE, havent actually thought of the battery, or starter, dont think its the alternator as the car wouldnt run too long.... (Ford days)

I think the issue's with the wiper module.... Not sure Im having another coffee and another smoke then I will go back down.... Sorry about the typos earlier first post, any and all theat read this woeful tale !!!! Let this be an education to readers. But advice / ideas / thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 09:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Forgot to mention, had to replace bulbs and faulty temp gauge, thought i'd try some white dials (from the mother country, I might add) - So Im only sort of a dick head, (They do warn you in the instruction sheet )

Last edited by Kiwi; 25 Oct 2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Okay Saga continues , after my smoke and coffee.... I went and started the car, bit of a laboured start .... ran for two minutes the chugger, chugger putt, putt dead..... Alternator?????, coincidence, fate perhaps?

Last edited by Kiwi; 25 Oct 2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 05:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to woodo

what model/make is your car, mine did the same when i removed the instrument cluster and mines a 98 wrx. when everything plugged back in, it wouldnt start, i recharged battery then reset ecu and its fine now
Old 26 Oct 2009, 09:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hey Woodo, thanks for taking the time to post.

Mines a GC8 93 1.8 non turbo, - yeah I wondered about that, with the circuit missing four points (speedo, Tacho. Temp and petrol level gauges, I guess its (the car) is a bit touchy . I can tell you now its not the Altenator, a friend very kindly came around with a fresh one out of a 96 I put that in it fired her up wih a battery pack, I was optimistic .... but no after a minute or two same deal putt, putt, chug...... dead.

Im getting a new speedo which has a good temp gauge in by friday so I will give it a crack.

How does one reset the ecu?

Thanks for the info Woodo, appreciate it Regards
Old 26 Oct 2009, 04:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
How does one reset the ecu?
Take the negative lead off battery for the night connect it up in morning and reset
Old 26 Oct 2009, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Is that all you have to do to reset the ECU? Take the lead off the neg terminal? , Nothing else?
Old 26 Oct 2009, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to woodo

theres many ways of doing it have a read of this, ECU Reset... How many different methods are there???
Old 27 Oct 2009, 06:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Is that all you have to do to reset the ECU? Take the lead off the neg terminal? , Nothing else?
Thats all bud they lots of ways to do it as mentioned above by Woodo's link