Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

89 impreza rs electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2009, 08:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

98 impreza rs electrical problems

my subaru impreza was going down the road one day then suddenly started making a dinging noise and the dashboard equipment (gas meter tempature gauge speedomater odomater) stopped working and a few days later wouldn't even hold enough charge to start up again. I put a new battery in it and it ran about 30 miles to town then on the way back i accedently flipped the headlights and the car died about half way back home. i checked the alternater and all the fuses and they are fine SOMEONE TELL ME SOMETHING
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2009, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: 89 impreza rs electrical problems

i'd say you've a very bad earth somewhere bud..
Old 02 Oct 2009, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: 98 impreza rs electrical problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
my subaru impreza was going down the road one day then suddenly started making a dinging noise and the dashboard equipment (gas meter tempature gauge speedomater odomater) stopped working and a few days later wouldn't even hold enough charge to start up again. I put a new battery in it and it ran about 30 miles to town then on the way back i accedently flipped the headlights and the car died about half way back home. i checked the alternater and all the fuses and they are fine SOMEONE TELL ME SOMETHING
Whats the alternator reading at bud with load for example lights on a/c on and electrics should stay at around 13.5volts not under it. With no load should be 14volts
Old 08 Nov 2009, 05:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

hi, iv got a impreza wrx 2002, just had a new pod filter put in the car, it keeps stalling itself, anyone know the problem
Old 08 Nov 2009, 09:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Was the dinging noise the same noise you get if you leave the keys in etc ? ( a manufactured noise from a buzzer type of thing)
Old 09 Nov 2009, 05:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
Was the dinging noise the same noise you get if you leave the keys in etc ? ( a manufactured noise from a buzzer type of thing)
yes it is
Old 09 Nov 2009, 05:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
yes it is
Ok then id say you are defo looking for a bad earth/ground connection, id start behind the speedo cluster, there will be lots of them and look down into the drivers footwell also, you will have to get a bit dirty and take a few things off like trim and the clocks out, are you ok with things like that?
If not take it to a auto electrician or you could end up causing more damge then u have now lol
Old 09 Nov 2009, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

auto electrician sounds good i'm not looking to mess up my car