Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

Immobiliser problems in a Subaru Impreza 1993

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 May 2009, 07:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Immobiliser problems in a Subaru Impreza 1993

My 1993 Subaru Impreza does not start all the time - mostly it is fine, but sometimes the engine doesn't turn over. It usually starts again if left for a while. The battery is fine - the problem seems to be the immobiliser. Could anyone tell me where I would look to find the immobiliser? OR can anyone tell me what the problem might be if it isn't the immobiliser?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 07:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: Immobiliser problems in a Subaru Impreza 1993

hi i had the same on my car thought it might be the ignition switch almost as if it turned to far past the point of contact try easying the key back as you try to start the car i replaced the switch part from one i bought of e bay about 30 pounds and about half an hrs work
then thought it might be the battery draing down as do not use the car much
when charged the battry it always started then
after two years got round to thinking it was the starter motor
bought a motor had a look under the bonnet to locate it <n/s under the intercooler

but i wagled the electrical connection to the motor and although it appeared to be a nice tight fit the car has always <will go and try it this morning sods law wont start> started as usual.
you could try tapping the motor when the fault is there with the end of a hammer dont kiss it give it a sharp tap as if knocking on a door at the same time if poss as some turns the key if it then starts its the motor
hope this helps
phil
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Immobiliser problems in a Subaru Impreza 1993

one other thing you can check is the fuel pump connecting block under the back seat,my mates had this sort of prob with his WRX,turns out that when his lad used to climb into the car,his foot was slipping under the rear seat,therefore dislodging the connections..