Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

ECU Reset

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jun 2004, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Send a message via MSN to triplezoney
ECU Reset

Just been reading Nelson's topic about the ECU reset
http://www.subaru-impreza.org/subaru...er=asc&start=0
Is it worth doing this on a just bought car? Kinda thinking that its obviously been learning someone else's driving & a reset would bring it more into line with my driving? I'm on a vain quest to try n improve my fuel consumption :cry:

Not sure if that makes sense to anyone?!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2004, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

IMHO its worth doing anyway. Especially if you have bought a car and don't know whether it has any sensors failing (not saying that they should of course). An Ecu reset will certainly help identify if there are any problems. It will also help to reset all the values and relearn its limits
Old 17 Jun 2004, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Ok, silly question time....
Can I fook up an ECU reset? and what can happen if I do ops: lol
Old 17 Jun 2004, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

No mate you can't really screw a reset up - just be sure to follow the instuctions and you will be fine at the end of the day if the reset hasn't been done correctly then the ECU check light won't flash to confirm its been done. If this happens thenunplug the connectors (bottom of the steering column) drive for a little while bring it back plug connectors back in and start again....all previous error codes and parameters are wiped each time
Old 17 Jun 2004, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Kool, I'll have a go the weekend
Gonna clutch at straws now..... will reseting the ECU help my fuel consumption as it brings it more in line with my driving? :roll: or is it really a case of lead outta right foot ops:
Old 17 Jun 2004, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

No too sure about the fuel consumption bit mate to be honest (after a reset) but it certainly doesnt do the car any harm. I did find that my Scoob did feel better for the reset but as I covred the miles the power got better and better and was very smooth

For me the Scoob returns on average about 26-28 to the gallon. This is with normal driving including a bit of playing down the back lanes A spirited drive across the Moors however returns a lot less....but at the end of the day I dont expect much less from a Turbo 4WD 200BHP+ motor
Old 17 Jun 2004, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Ok m8, thanks for all the help with this one
I'll have a go at the ECU reset the weekend, might give the dealer a ring see if they reset it b4 I picked it up, he did mention something about a reset, but was obviously too eager to get driving ops:

Its just soooo hard not to give it a boot now n again :shock:
Old 17 Jun 2004, 10:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplezoney
Ok m8, thanks for all the help with this one
I'll have a go at the ECU reset the weekend, might give the dealer a ring see if they reset it b4 I picked it up, he did mention something about a reset, but was obviously too eager to get driving ops:

Its just soooo hard not to give it a boot now n again :shock:
Too bloody right mate - nothing quite like hearing the lovely Flat Four roar when opening her up I only got my car back tonight (been without it for a few days) and realised how much I missed it. Rather spirited drive home (to get hom for the footy you understand)

Let us know how you get on mate
Old 17 Jun 2004, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Will do m8

I'm ok with the footie I only live 2 minutes drive from work, but have to drive to work incase I get called out. So while everyone else leaves at 4 to get home for the footie I can get good marks by staying till 5 then racing home at 4.58 n still catch kick off
Old 18 Jun 2004, 07:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
Hi Tz, noticed lots of difference on both my scoobs after following nelsons advice.
Found consumption improved after fitting the induction kit on the last one as it made it a bit leaner as i have been told they run rich anyway.
just fitted the JR panel filter to the STi, reset the ecu and it breathes much better now. the stock filter looked like it was trying to breath through a piece of cardboard.

buzz
Old 18 Jun 2004, 07:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

You are spot on there Buzz - an uprated filter will help breathing a lot. I run with an STI Grp N filter but does the same job as the JR and induction kits are regarded as a bit of a waste on a Scoob cos of the warm air they draw in from the engine bay. This was proven on a Rolling Road at TSL not so long ago. They ran a modded scoob with an induction kit and then did the same run with the stock aribox and an uprated panel filter. The difference was nearly 10BHP !! :shock: in favour of the panel
Old 18 Jun 2004, 08:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Sorry Nelson, I know I've done this before,
On a rolling road it would be very easy to get that result, particularly if you were a supplier of the panel filter.
My brother ran with a panel filter as per the advice, his 93wrx currently puts out 295bhp.
When he changed to a cone filter the difference was amazing. It had a quicker response and pulled much harder through the gears.
Me and Nelson have had this conversation before and I think we both agree, on standardish cars the cone filter may not help. But on big power cars its absolutely essential. The panel and associated pipework very quickly strangles the engine.
What are other peoples experiences like?
Mine had a Blitz induction when I bought it. Ran it for about 6 months with no problems. Swatted up on cold air feeds and heatshields, fed some tumbledryer hose from the front bumper and used a piece of an old boiler to make a plate to fit between induction and engine. To be honest, I haven't noticed any difference. But it is possible that the intercooler is having to do less work etc
Cheers, Olly
Old 18 Jun 2004, 08:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Yea we will beg to differ mate - Interpro did infact tell me (when i had a Unichip fitted) on my rpev WRX) to remove the Piper X cone and replace with a decent Panel (which is what I did). The STI panel is also good for 300BHP so yes I would agree that Big power may well need the cone arrangement (like yours and bens setups) I was running 291BHP btw. As you say the heat shield on yours will no doubt be making a difference even if just to lower the intake temps and thus keep Det at bay i.e stop your ECU from retarding

It goes back to the old VTA V's Recirc Dump Valve - loads of views on what is better etc ?
Old 18 Jun 2004, 08:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
Am not as well up on it as nelson and olly, but can see that the small letterbox intake of the stock box wont let as much air through, then it has to round thriugh the wing and into the box and filter. Where as the induction kit just sucked straight through the filter.
Yes some kind of heat sheild woud be needed behind.
On a rolloing road do they put a fan in front or just let it suck air in? surely that would make adifference on test?
I think a cone filter has a slightly bigger surface area too.
A thought on it, i think the jedimaster(where is he these days) cut the bottom and side off of his stock air box and had a K&N panel filter in his car, remember that post with pics nelson?, surely that would make a difference to the breathing of the stock air box. But expensive if you didnt like it and wanted a new airbox!

buzz
Old 18 Jun 2004, 09:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Yes Buzz - I tend to agree - Cones do have an advantage on the whole surface area situation but I can honestly say from experience that an ITG Panel Filter was much better for my Prev WRX than running with a Piper X Induction Kit. Its all to do with Cold Air Feed. If you can get good cold air to a Cone then it will be better no questions asked. However if you just mount the cone and dont get a good supply of air to it then you will be pulling warm air into the intake and this generally results in less power being produced. A lot of people put a mini scoop where the bonnet vent is on the drivers side and use the same idea as Olly (with a heat shield) and this situation I imagine is ideal

On RR's they do have a fan running - to try and keep the intake temps down. The actual panel filter used at TSL was an STI Group N and not there own brand either, I believe one of the gurus on SN did this as a pure test to see which came out on top. I can't comment as to how good the cold air feed was for the cone - probably not that good to be honest. I think this is the main point - if you can get a good cold air feed to an induction kit then it has gotta to be better

I do like thread like this - creates a bit of debate....Bring it on