Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

Speakers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Oct 2008, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Speakers

Hi guys i have an subaru wrx 300 2005 model, however i want to changer the two front door speakers, i do not know the Depth so i could put new speakers, can any one help??
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2008, 08:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: Speakers

Hi.

Not sure on the depth. You will need very shallow speakers like 2" deep or less.

Link.1 trinituner.com ::: View topic - WTK door speakers for impreza 2004

Link. 2 Subaru Impreza ICE

Old 29 Oct 2008, 08:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

If later scoobs are like classics theres scope to lose some of the depth by using a spacer where the speaker mounts to the metal inner door panel as there were space initially between the speaker face and the speaker grill on the door trim,can buy spacers but made mine out some MDF i had kicking about, cant remember wether it were 12mm or 18mm now though(think 12mm were enough).

Just an option but look into room available before you choose your speakers(shallow depth ones usually arent that good) my bostons would have fouled the window otherwise when it went down without said spacer above.
Old 29 Oct 2008, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I want to by Vibe BLACKAIR speakers

specs..

Speaker size 6.5
Mounting Depth 62mm
Mounting Diameter 143mm
Voice Coil diameter 35mm
Magnet size 80 x 12 mm

would this fit?
Thanks Mr kentmen
Old 30 Oct 2008, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi uk dave your right, however what if its 2 1/2 iches in depth would i have a problem? would i need spacers/adapters?? Please need help will be buying the speakers soon ..

ta hasan
Old 01 Nov 2008, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

The only one ya need to worry about is mounting depth,though ya may need to cut some of the metal door panel away aswell-not sure what size speakers they start off with(can only base on my classic havent seen later scoobys doors with trim panel off/space available)if im honest still think you`ll need about a 12mm spacer though.
Old 03 Nov 2008, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi all, I also have a front speaker issue too, previous owner has bodged a pair of speakers into the existing apertures and they are not very good, they rattle around like a d**k in a dustbin. The problem I have is that I don't have the spacer or any details of what it's supposed to look like?
Does anyone have a template of the spacer that they can supply to me please?

Would be a great help.

Also, how does the rear parcel shelf come out?

Need to get new one as the rear speakers were also bodged i.e. stinking great 6 x 9's that are Ill fitting and also rattle around.

Not the best ICE install I've ever seen, in fact it's more of a slush than ICE

Am enjoying my new car and now have to fix all the dodgy stuff but it's fun
Old 06 Nov 2008, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Hi mate i bought 5.25in 2 ways for my doors so got a template on the box(sure ya know the score)then just made the outer of the spacer fit the recess of the metal where speaker fits-if i remember right anyway-were 5yr ago-depends on your speakers though-i werent bothered about 6.5in.

Got 6x9`s in the bk and fitted some in a mates scooby aswell-secret is to use either some thin ply or just some random stuff like me..... lol laminate flooring i`d got left over with some thin carpet over to stop it rattling-as the problem were the hardboard rear shelf doesnt rest on the metal underneath as such so again needed a spacer of sorts between the metal shelf underneath and carpeted hardboard shelf ya can see.

Didnt remove the shelf to do mine im a bit of a nutter really as ya need loads of patience, just used a sharp stanley knife and the 6x9 templates-positioning were easy as theres about only one position where the template will cover the hole from the previous std speakers.

Then under the metal shelf in the boot cut a bigger hole out for the sound to be more effective ie so the cones pushing against air in the boot rather than air between the shelves-cut it no wider than the template hole though-just as wide as the speakers enough.

Last edited by uk dave; 06 Nov 2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06 Nov 2008, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Cheers Dave, it looks like the fitter of the 6 x 9's in my scooby has chewed the metal under the speakers with a rat, then bent the steel into the boot space and just left it there, gotta get a grinder out and tidy it up a bit, re-new existing parcel shelf, possibly make one now with MDF then fit some 4" speakers in. Don't need anything too big and powerful, the boot install will sort that out
I got a Fli audio 1000watt sub with amp, but may go bigger and get a twin to go 2000watts
but then again the engine tone/exhaust wouldn't be heard then, which is a nice sound anyway
Cheers for the assistance
Old 06 Nov 2008, 08:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Hope youve got plenty of dynamat/equivalent and patience will be rattle city trust me-a mate had 2x12`s in a classic an jesus ......rattles from everywhere-may be worth porting the rear shelf if ya can be that bothered aswell just to raise volume of the bass as i werent overwhelmed with the bass in his unless ya gonna run it with the rear seat down.

Had an old audi 80 sport saloon yrs ago an i should have put a port/ports through the shelf on that as whilst ya could feel the bass werent impressed with the volume of it.