Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

engine light ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2008, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Red face engine light ?

hi folks

i have a 51 plate wrx and when i put the foot down in 4th gear the engine light flashes.

sometimes it flashes and goes off after a while and sometimes it stays on, it only seems to flash when im in 4th gear and accelerating

any ideas

many thanks phil
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2008, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: engine light ?

You should do a diagnostic test, plug it in and it will tell wou the code and that will tell you whats faulty and why engine light coming on................................
Old 28 Sep 2008, 09:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks just seemed like such a specific fault wondered if anyone came across it before

phil
Old 28 Sep 2008, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudumped View Post
thanks just seemed like such a specific fault wondered if anyone came across it before

phil

Could tell you a few areas to look at but could be wasting your time cause with the dianostic test that will tell you the specific area to look at and save you time, but just tinking their does the check engine light come on when your hitting rev limiter in 4th gear cause if so it could be the camshaft sensor...............................
Old 29 Sep 2008, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

no mate its strange it just seems to come on under accleration wether high reving or not but the thing i thought strange is the fact it only does it with 4th gear

possibly getting a diagnostic done later tonight lol turns out a good mate of mine is a subaru mechanic and i didnt even know lol

phil
Old 29 Sep 2008, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
no mate its strange it just seems to come on under accleration wether high reving or not but the thing i thought strange is the fact it only does it with 4th gear

possibly getting a diagnostic done later tonight lol turns out a good mate of mine is a subaru mechanic and i didnt even know lol

phil

best of luck with it sure you'll find the problem now.....................
Old 29 Sep 2008, 08:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

ok mechanic did a diagnostic and reckons its the plugs as its stored a missfire in cylinder 1 2 and 3 so its not so bad after all

phil
Old 29 Sep 2008, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
ok mechanic did a diagnostic and reckons its the plugs as its stored a missfire in cylinder 1 2 and 3 so its not so bad after all

phil

Great something small......................
Old 01 Oct 2008, 02:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

more likely coilpacks than plugs unless the plugs havent been changed for a long long time.
Old 01 Oct 2008, 03:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

turns out its the neutral switch on the gearbox coz for some reason it shows a fault as a missfire on all cylinders lol never mind.

the car has fsh by subaru but 60k service was done by a car dealer where i purchased the car from so it looks like havent been changed at 60k and its now 80k so time they were changed me thinks

phil