Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

Speaker Question (technical, not performance)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Aug 2008, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Speaker Question (technical, not performance)

Hey Everyone!

So I'm new here, and I read the FAQs and all that good stuff, so I'm assuming that this is an okay place to ask this question.

I have a 2000 Impreza, and all of a sudden...yesterday nothing was coming out of the speakers. The stereo I have in works fine (it's on, and working as though sound is coming out of it, but it isn't). I'm assuming it's a blown fuse because they are pretty new speakers and I don't blast them or anything...it isn't souped up or anything impressive so I don't blast the speakers wicked loud or anything. I know where the fuse box(es) are, but there isn't a fuse specifically for the speakers in the owner's manual.

Am I missing something or am I just being dumb? Help!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2008, 06:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Speaker Question (technical, not performance)

Hi,

Im totally lame when it comes to electronics but I would guess that the speakers don't require their own fuse since they would be powered directly from the amp in the stereo. Have you checked all the connections from the stereo back to the speakers? Apart from that don't really know what to suggest if the stereos working.

Is it not working with radio/Cd player/GPS etc? I ask because i get no sound from a CD in mine but everything else is fine.
Old 01 Sep 2008, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to andrewwhitcombe

Hey mate sounds like the stereo is knackerd, its unlikly that all 4 speakers have gone in the car. Make sure u have the settings correctly set up on your stereo.

If still you dont have no sound u can check if there is any voltage going to the speakers from the stereo buy connecting a multimeter to the positive a negative speaker outputs.

There is no fuses for the speakers, unless u have an additional speaker amplifier that has been installed in your car.

Hope this helps
Old 01 Sep 2008, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks, Riki and Andrew, I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

I know there is nothing wrong with the way the stereo is hooked up; I installed it about a year ago, everything worked fine, and then all of a sudden, on Saturday, no sound coming out of the speakers. I have no additional speaker amp, so I guess the fuse thing is ruled out (sweet).

Stupid question: are speaker hook-ups like lights on a christmas tree? Like, if one has a bad connection (like it's missing one bulb on the string of lights) do they all crap out? I would say it is unlikely that all four would go at once, considering I installed the new speakers when I put in the stereo, and again, all have been working great for about a year and then suddenly nothing.

I did spend a week at a beach house, and my car just sat in the driveway and it was rained on/in contact with sand and whatnot, but I don't think that should really make a difference?

Looks like I'll be cracking some stuff open this weekend to figure out what's going on. I have to take an 8 hour road-trip in a couple weeks and that would be brutal without any music. Thanks everyone!
Old 01 Sep 2008, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Anders52

no the speakers are wired in parallel meaning there is a connection at the back of the stereo for each speaker.

Sounds like the headunit itself is faulty to me, the chances of you blowing all 4 speakers is slim to nil and you would know about it by the burning smell in the car . try listening to the radio instead of the cd player or vice versa as sometimes only part of the unit fails. Mine did that a couple of years back in my last car, could hear the cd player but not the radio.

Might even be something as simple as the plug has come loose at the back of the stereo. fingers crossed.
Old 01 Sep 2008, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders52 View Post
no the speakers are wired in parallel meaning there is a connection at the back of the stereo for each speaker.

Sounds like the headunit itself is faulty to me, the chances of you blowing all 4 speakers is slim to nil and you would know about it by the burning smell in the car . try listening to the radio instead of the cd player or vice versa as sometimes only part of the unit fails. Mine did that a couple of years back in my last car, could hear the cd player but not the radio.
Okay, cool. I know that was probably a stupid question, and I assumed it was a parallel wiring, but I just wanted to make sure.

Even if I listen to the radio, nothing comes out of the speakers. I have one of those units where its a CD player/Radio/iPod connector all in one. When I have it on, the faceplate on the stereo shows as though it is playing (you can see the bars move up and down with the sound on the display, and the clock runs when a CD is in as though everything is fine) just no sound comes out of the speakers.

I'm gonna cry if I have to get it fixed professionally because I just dropped 2600 bucks into a transmission re-build and I don't need something else failing.
Old 01 Sep 2008, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Anders52

Another option is to find a pal with a spare stereo and try it in your car. If that doesnt work then you know its the speakers or wiring from the head unit.
Old 01 Sep 2008, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders52 View Post
Another option is to find a pal with a spare stereo and try it in your car. If that doesnt work then you know its the speakers or wiring from the head unit.
Sweet. Thanks for the help/advice, I appreciate it!