Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

central locking whining noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2008, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

central locking whining noise

can anyone shed some light on the whining noise my central locking makes when locking and unlocking. i've tried to ignore it for some time hoping it would go away, but it's only getting worse
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2008, 05:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

is it locked via the remote on your aftermarket alarm fob, i have similar problem on my corsa, due to the time delay on the power output to the central locking unit which is about 10 to 15 seconds, doesnt do this on the scoob as it only has about 3 to 5 second power output, where does the noise sound like its coming from???
Old 29 Mar 2008, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

hi mate,

the sound comes from inside the door card, near the interior handle/manual lock. as far as i know the sound will only occur when the door is locked via the key fob. it does not make the sound when i do it manually from the interior handle when inside the car. i've never taken the door panel off as knowing me i'm likely to do more damage than good. it something that i can live with (and have done for some time) but if it's a simple thing then i will look into getting it sorted.
Old 02 Apr 2008, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

if your door locks work the same as my 98 for remote central locking via alarm then you will have an aftermarket central locking actuator attached to the locking rods in the drivers door, this is what will be making the noise, if its on its way out then it shouldnt cost you a lot to buy one, or like i said earlier, probably just the fact that your alarm has a longer output delay on it, like you said, wouldnt worry about it till it stops working all together.
Old 05 Apr 2008, 07:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

cheers mate, that all makes sense. i think i can put up with it for now, anyway i'm currently digging deep to get through my 90k service.
Old 05 Apr 2008, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

good luck with the service, and ask the garage to go easy with the vaseline, lol
Old 07 Apr 2008, 08:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

A friends MY99 Turbo2000 does it too..

In fact its my previous car.

I think the internal rods were disturbed the when removing the door handle to respetray the door. Since then it makes the horrible noise when locking or unlocking. Seems to stop by removing the door panel and adjusting the rod lengths a little. Unfortunately it starts again after a bit once the door panel is put back on.

So my guess is that its down to the rods not being adjusted correctly or have become a little bent.