Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

advice please, engine light on ONCE AGAIN...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Dec 2007, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Angry advice please, engine light on ONCE AGAIN...

hi guys i need some advice please, engine light came on around a month ago so i took it to subaru and needed a new cam sensor so {£190} later alls well then a week later the lights on again so took it back and it had a misfire on cyllinder 1 so left it with them and they said it was a loose wire on the coil pack so they fixed it at no charge, now 2 weeks later its back on but the funny thing it did exactly the same thing as before on a bumpy road the engine light flashed a few times then 40 miles later it came on permanent and i was sure it would, the cars a 2002 wrx bugeye by the way!! so would like advice on should i take it back to subaru or just disconect the neg on the battery and press the brake etc, im concerned that if it does have a misfire again it could cause damage?? also can anyone tell me if this engine light thing is goin to be a regular thing as i love my scoobie but the light thing is getting me down, ive had a alpina bm since 1994 and its never seen a main dealer other than services, please let me know what you think?? soz for boring you to death, thanks in advance
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2007, 10:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Hi. &

Quote:
or just disconect the neg on the battery and press the brake etc
The new age Impreza's 2001-7 don’t have a manual reset function like the JECS ECU's on the Classic Impreza. The Denso units apparently have a non-volatile RAM, even disconnecting the battery won’t do it. The only way to reset these ECUs is via the OBDII diagnostics port using a computer.

Check the vacuum hoses on the manifold, turbo, and intercooler.

Did you have a up-pipe install ? If so it could be the EGT sensor or loose wire on the sensor.

Rear 02 sensor/loose wire can cause your CEL to light up.

Link: http://www.subaru-impreza.org/bbs/sh...ad.php?t=28428
Quote:
#

said it was a loose wire on the coil pack
Bad coilpacks/plugs.

Last edited by 2002pete; 27 Dec 2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 27 Dec 2007, 05:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

cheers pal, i went to subaru this morn and the guy plugged it in and it says misfire on cyl 1 and 3 so he cleared the fault them said see how it goes i.e if it comes on again they will have it in for a good look, thing ive noticed is since the light was on it dosent seem the same in particular when i go to say 4000 rpm in 2nd then change to 3rd the revs wil go up to 4500 rpm for a split second when i press the clutch??? any ideas?? cheers
Old 27 Dec 2007, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Sounds like your car is running in "safe" mode when the CEL is on.

Link: http://www.subaru-impreza.org/bbs/sh...ad.php?t=34151

Old 28 Dec 2007, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to jammychap
i had a weird one, when i changed my front brakes i picked my heavy toolbox up from work and with that in the boot i put my foot down a bit and the ecu light came on and stayed on till i dropped the toolbox off that was 2 weeks ago not come on since weird lol...................
Old 28 Dec 2007, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

hi your not alone engine light on misfire been on comp new lambda sensor fitted ok week light back on rear lambda sensor fitted ok for 2 wks back on again £300 later no nearer solving problem
Old 28 May 2008, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

hi my engine light has also come on but its due to me having my precat removed but wasnt aware that the ppl doing it did not sort this out for me and i now need to know where is best to go to have the ecu remaped and what kind of prices id be looking at i have a 2001-2001 bugeye version