Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

Replacing my ECU- Not Firing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Nov 2007, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Replacing my ECU- Not Firing.

I have just bought a 1999 STi RA ECU for my 1999 UK classic, it was meant to increase boost and mapping giving my but the car just turns over and dosn't fire just turns over It is a J2 ECU mine is an E3.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to make it work?

Cheers
Tim
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2007, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

make sure its fitted correctly then get it remapped. even if you get it running you'll need to get it mapped anyway

generic maps dont work on scoobs im afraid to say so you may as well stay with your origional ecu and get that mapped.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to tiny
tbh i`d have thought you`d b better off putting your old ecu back in and having tha mapped. At least then it`ll start
Old 27 Nov 2007, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Anders52
Have you checked the simple stuff like connections etc?

If the years were the same i would expect the car to start and run like a pig until its mapped but i can almost guarantee that subaru would have altered the wiring in the newer model to accommodate wiring changes to the sensors etc.

For example imports have individual coil packs on each plug i think while the uk 97 has a single coil pack on top of the engine. the new ecu is probably trying to fire each plug instead of the wasted spark system we use on the 97. Could be why its not starting.

One thing though... there may be a chance you have knackered your ignition module due to the above scenario if it turns out true.

But then again i could be wrong and im sure someone will help you out
Old 09 Dec 2007, 11:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

i think cam and crank sensor wires need to be changed over on wiring loom going into ecu. i know this is the case with my year of scoob my98 with possible fuel pump wire needing changing position too.

on a seperate note i wouldnt run uk car on jdm ecu. different cam profiles and maf. added to which its mapped for an sti engine which is different yet again.

this could well shorten engine life but will also cause flat spots making it not a nice drive.