Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

Power connector in trunk - purpose,fuse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Sep 2007, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Power connector in trunk - purpose,fuse

I found a power connector in my trunk (93 Impreza L) that seems to serve no purpose. It's run parallel to the wiring for the brake light in my rear windshield - maybe for trailer brake lights? Don't have a trailer or a rear wiper, and I thought about using the power for my subs. I'm borrowing a voltmeter from a friend, and I expect it to be 12V. If it is, I'll likely need to swap in a new fuse to allow enough power. I haven't been able to find anything useful in my repair guide about this power cable or which fuse controls it, and I'd prefer not to trace everything from the trunk to the dash. Does anyone know where I could find more info? Could I do any damage by throwing a larger fuse in there?

Keep the peace.

-cp
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2007, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Scooby
Paid & Proud

dont use it for powering a amp/sub mate is the advise id give you there is a reason why the power cables are big for amps mate.
Old 08 Sep 2007, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
The wire will be designed to power whatever it were designed for and to be thick enough to handle the current and then some for that job, simply putting a bigger fuse in dont change the capabilities of the wire even if it lets higher current past, at certain currents the wire will heat up and leave yourself open to all sorts of possibilities-wouldnt recommend at all in short theres no cheap alternative to thick good quality amp leads-you will also be sacrificing your sound quality not being able to supply the amp with enough power to do its job.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

a little learning is a dangerous thing,
Old 22 Oct 2007, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to ukturbo#1
THERE IS A SMALL BLOCK CONNECTOR ON THE DRIVERS SIDE IN THE BOOT BEHIND THE TRIM THIS IS A TOWING PLUG.SOME HAVE A 12V FEED OTHERS DONT BUT ONLY NEED A FUSE IN FUSE BOX TO POWER IT UP .....BUT DO NOTUSE THIS TO POWER ANY AMPS THE WIRE IS NOT THICK ENOUGH TO CARRY THE AMPS NEEDED TO POWER THER AND THERFORE YOU RISK THE WIRES INSULATION MELTING RESULTING IN FIRE AND ALL KINDS OF TROUBLE...I DONT WANT TO SOUND LIKE A WIZZ KID OR ANYTHING BUT I FIT TOWBARS FOR A LIVING AND KNOW WHAT IIM ON ABOUT WITH CAR ELECTRICS
HOPE THIS HELPS
Old 22 Oct 2007, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Anders52
As above m8, dont ever put a larger fuse in a holder whether its in the house or in the car.
There is nothing in the back of the car that draws a high load on subaru's save maybe the wiper motor and thats 10 - 15 amps tops i would think. This means the wires will be rated to carry a small current which is nowhere near enough for amps.
Changing the fuse can / will result in at best molten wiring and a large repair bill or can result in a serious car fire and we dont want that.

You can buy amp wiring kits which are quite cheap and are easy to fit and come with the correct fuse and holder for the wiring. It will also have a wire in the kit that goes between the head unit and amp so the amps power down when the head unit is off or the ignition is off.

Hope that helps.