Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

best way to get some good tunes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jan 2007, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

best way to get some good tunes

all, anyone

whats the best way for me to gain some good sounds in the car... im never going to be one for thousands of pounds worth of ice so what my options.. ?

amp, sub, good wiring ?

Uprated speakers only + sub (i.e. no amp)

Dont know much about this so would like some discussion

thanks in advance

Last edited by Tidgy; 15 Jan 2007 at 12:09 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2007, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dr. Infrastructure
Paid & Proud

Send a message via AIM to Gaza
It really depends on what you want. A nice head unit + some good door speakers will sound very nice. If you want a little more thump, buy a sub woofer and amplifier.
Old 15 Jan 2007, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
If you get higher wattage speakers gareth you will need an amp generally though ya can sometimes get away with it if the speakers got a high sensitivity ie less power in for more noise out, if your not bothered about going too mad go up to around 100-120w speakers not sure of your output power of your existing head unit/din(not sure whats in evos)though wouldnt necessarily look at changing the stereo itself before youve heard it on different speakers.You generally cant go wrong with pioneer speakers if youre not after breaking the bank had/fitted several sets in mine mates cars never been dissapointed for what ive/mates have spent.
In me time used caliber pioneer clarion kenwood jl audio phoenix gold-(subs only though) alpine and currently boston accoustics (front)alpine 6x9`s(Rear) but this were due to them being the cheapest at the time for what i wanted(werent trying to run a scooby with me other cars systems)-they both need an amp though (especially the bostons)to sound 100% though-its on my list.

actually adam me mates just put a mint cheap system in his 306 for now-no amps, running seperates in the front off headunit and 2x10in jbl subs off the rear channels of the head unit-you wouldnt believe how good the subs sound even with no amps(can adjust crossover freq on headunit for subs)
Old 15 Jan 2007, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Scooby
Paid & Proud

the basics to a good sound system is the wiring. have a good head unit components up front and 6x9s to the rear. or else try coaxails to the rear. If your looking for a bit of bass try a sub and if you want more well just addas required.
try running a good amp to cover your subs but make sure you have good wiring.

Regards
Eric
Old 15 Jan 2007, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Even so depending on your system size its easy to get carried away with the wiring etc in a proper system by the time i`d got 3 half decent rca leads, amp power an earth leads, distribution block,fuse holder for battery end, firewall grommet an speaker wire bet it were close on 300 in my 106.
My advice gareth if you get an amp just get a cheap amp wiring kit with it(if for sub only) for around 30 quid most shops will advise on what you need.May spend more if 4 channel amps involved as sound quality is then more of an issue and i`d spend more on rca leads.
Though check first before you buy an amp your existing head units got rca line outs for amps.
Old 15 Jan 2007, 06:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Scooby
Paid & Proud

i wpoul agree that you can get carried away with the extras if you allow your self to but it is still important to have good wiring i think no matter what amp you use but that is just my two cents
Old 15 Jan 2007, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Have a look here gareth http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/home.html prices are very reasonable usually, if you want recommendations ask though would have to know what size and where speakers are in an evo tho like dougal said in an ideal world 6x9`s in the rear shelf make a big difference, seperates arent so crucial in the front good 2 or 3way speakers are fine and you dont have to find somewhere to mount your crossover.
Difference is with seperates theyre clearer and the crossover is usually adjustable for the tweeter for a bright or almost neutral sound in 3db steps usually,depends what music your into to be honest as to wether they`d be worth buying.
Loved how my 106`s system sounded, but to be honest payed a lot for it at the time had jl audio vr series components in front and alpine dd drive with cast basket(cant remember model)components in bk shelf that lot were 500quid to start with.(this were way back and stuff werent as cheap as it is now)Though was top end stuff at the time.had 2x jl 12w6 subs, alpine v12 mrv 1000 and alpine v12 mrv f400 amps, caliber bass line driver,panasonic fx85 headunit and changer (600 quid at the time)
Then a load of mdf/sealant and fleckstone spray for the build.Wish i had pics

Have never gone mad on stereo stuff since, spent around 3k maybe just over in total on the 106 system.

This is how times change- now got a panasonic mp3 player with motorised front - most basic one with motorised front 99 when i bought it.
alpine 6x9`s in rear shelf-29.99
boston 2ways in front 5.25in i think-50.00

only slightly lacking in power and maybe a bit of bass but overall sounds lovely especially when you consider what std fitment stuff is like(though obviously nothing like me previous car) though hoping when ive got them amp`d up i`ll be more than happy(dont want this as mad)-dont ever intend putting subs in the scoobs.

Last edited by uk dave; 15 Jan 2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old 15 Jan 2007, 09:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

thanks dave, all, great read, im wiser than before for sure

I know some people who have spent big bucks.. much like your 106 dave and its not for me... I want louder / deeper bass / better quality than ive got but theres a limit of few hundred for this...

thanks again all, very much appreciated

Gareth
Old 15 Jan 2007, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Do you want a sub then mate or not(bearing in mind it`l take a small amount of boot space) as its still possible to get 4 speakers and decent sub amp box combo if your careful in your choice.
Had no bootspace at all in the 106 but didnt need it. 1x 10 inch sub in a sml box however dont take up much space-mates who`ve needed bootspace occasionally have mounted sub boxes on thick velcro strips to the boot carpet and suprisingly does hold them so at least its easy to remove if you have to.Gonna give examples purely based on speculation to what you may want mate.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/4901.html -sub etc sorted

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/2459.html 6x9`s rear shelf

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/4305.html front

(Using existing speaker wire on mine at the mo) all the amp wirings included above for the sub-sorted just for example-that probably wont be a straight fwd fit coz im just guessing. Generally though keep the rms figure of your speakers below 50w and sensitivity of 92db if ya can and it should sound ok off your head unit,generally higher than a 50wrms(continuous average power) speaker will start to sound tinny on the bass side with any less than around 50w peak going into it.

You could also add a 4channel amp later if you werent totally happy at a reasonable price
something like this http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/2911.html

though would run with the gain almost right down (you learn where when fitting/setting amp controls) i know the power ratings nearly twice as much you just gotta trust me theres better quality to be had with a slightly overpowered amp with the gain lower(not working the amp hard and less distortion)underpowered amp and full gain=distortion through working it beyond its limits-kills speakers in the end-and you risk cooking your amp after prolonged use at high volumes.

Last edited by uk dave; 15 Jan 2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 11:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Gonna mention, I've 6" Pioneers at the front (£20 or so) 6x9's at the rear (£65 I think) and a standard Pioneer £175 MP3 head unit and I'm well pleased Manages high volumes for the motorway driving I do, never over heats and I've never had (yet!!) a problem with it at all!

Would love a bit more scale and depth but without buying a sub or amp I think it might be difficult

Great read as always Dave You trying to get on the hi-fi side of things now as well as polishing ?? You'd make a mint mate
Old 17 Jan 2007, 06:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

just grown up with mates working at car stereo shops and then adam being european champion a couple of yr ago in his class for his spl van(Streetbass class or summat)will find a link in a bit,had another mate running amps subs components and a kenwood active crossover about 15yr ago, bk then were really something special.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 06:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
I will agree that today it just seems to be make it as big as possible and I think the quality of it all can go out the window.

I just think things are done on too big a scale no adays, why cant we just think simple??
Old 17 Jan 2007, 07:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Eg pic of his power plant in his little spl van (yes they are amps in blocks of 3`s were about 20,000watts total im pretty sure)

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/gallery/s...php?photo=6366

Oh an a few batteries pmsl http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/gallery/s...php?photo=5819

Last edited by uk dave; 17 Jan 2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 07:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

like i say though phil this were purely for competition, van weighed too much to be driven legally on the road anyway.Made 163.9db when he competed in austria (2005 finals)where he won his class superstreet 5+.anyway goin waaaaaay off topic again.

Last edited by uk dave; 17 Jan 2007 at 07:33 PM.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 08:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Scooby
Paid & Proud

Gareth if you looking to up garde with out spendind big money i might be able to help:
4ch amp 119.00
13 cm coaxail 50wrms 80w peak 42.00
6x9s 60wrms 100 peak
although i put in peak power figures i would never worry to much about them as it is only wrms which counts in my view
put for that lot you looking at 191.00 pounds ex postage.