Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

Ignition Problem - please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Oct 2006, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Question Ignition Problem - please help

hi all,

last saturday my radiator just died. i broight a new one and changed it today, after i changed it successfully, i started my car up, let it run for 15 minutes and just checking my tempreture to make sure all is ok.

i switched my car off to recheck the water level and it all looked fine. when i tried to start my car again. dashbaord lights up however my car wont start. however i noticed that when i put my key into the ignition barrell and changed its position to on, its fine, all the lights are on. when i turn it more to the start position, i get nothing; however the dash board lights stay on and the key doesnt return to the on position. i have checked ignition barrel on my mothers car and from what i can remember it returns back to the on position automatically from the start postion.

so basically if i am correct that my igntion barrel is not working correctly, where can i source a new one and is their any diagrams or instruction so that i can do this myself? is their any other way i can bypass the ignition barrell and try to start my car.

Please note i can hear the fuel pump come to life.

Please note my car is a MY94 WRX JDM which has been modified and tuned. my car.

550cc injectors,
255 walbro pump
full decat,
tubular manifold
front mount intercooler
carbon fibre induction
electonic boost controller
modified ECU
4 port cailipers with cross drilled vented discs
boost guage, afr, and vacum and knocklink,

all help will be appriecaited.

Last edited by djquest; 03 Oct 2006 at 10:52 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Oct 2006, 07:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Young Scooby

just got home from 12 hour nite shift. Noc jobs can be so boring. anyway. i just set my car to diagnostic by connecting only the black cables under the dash. and i got a error code: 24 idle control system malfunction. how can i fix this and wat do i need to look at? any help will be appricaited. thanks

i am guessing my car wont start cause it states idle control system is not working. btw my starter motor doesnt turn is this normal with this error code?

sorry for all the questions, its just so frustrating coz i finally got my scoob the way i want it and now it wont start. grrrr. if i dont reply stright away chances are i am sleeping.lol.

Last edited by djquest; 04 Oct 2006 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04 Oct 2006, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby

i guess no one is gonna help me today?
Old 04 Oct 2006, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

is the imobiliser kicking in? does locking the car then unlocking it solve it?
Old 04 Oct 2006, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
code: 24 idle control system malfunction
Found this thread
Quote:
adjusted the idle control valve
http://www.subaru-impreza.org/bbs/sh...t=idle+control

http://www.subaru-impreza.org/bbs/sh...t=idle+control

Old 04 Oct 2006, 04:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Young Scooby

got it sorted. i took the steering coloum off and initially it all looked ok. so i disconnected the unit which conncects to the ignition barrell and tried to start it up. the starter motor cranked up and it all started up fine. left the car running for about 5 mins and switched it off. reinserted the unit back into the barrell and noticed that it was out of position and the screw which holds it in was missing. replaced the screw and started it up with the keys. all is now ok. thank god it wasnt anything major. i dont really want to go in to too much detail how i started it up just in case random ppl view our forums to get info on how to steal cars. if you know wat i mean.

i also cleaned up the idle control valve and adjuseted my idling and all is looking good. phew. lol. thanks for all the help ppls.

btw i dont know if you guys remember i was gonna get 550cc injectors and pump. i got it all done and when i took it for tuning, after the second run on they dyno my orignal clutch just died. so i got a new excedy organic clutch from aylin at ASP trading and he sorted me a discount being an .org member. now my car is all set-up how i want it. its running @ 1.35 bar of boost and all the correct mixtures. plus got a knocklink installed from the company i got my scoob tuned. PTS tuning. They do a lot of cosworth builds and projects. so far knock link is green and flickers green at times. only once it has flickered to amber when i was doing 140mph ( was kinda scary coz i never been that fast b4 lol) on the way to bristol and then it went back to green. i tested the knocklink and all the lights seems to be working correctly coz i read ppl have had trouble with knocklinks failing in the past which resulted in their engine going bang.

thank god. i feel so much better.
Old 04 Oct 2006, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
got it sorted
Glad you found the problem! Great news

Old 05 Oct 2006, 01:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by djquest
got it sorted. i took the steering coloum off and initially it all looked ok. so i disconnected the unit which conncects to the ignition barrell and tried to start it up. the starter motor cranked up and it all started up fine. left the car running for about 5 mins and switched it off. reinserted the unit back into the barrell and noticed that it was out of position and the screw which holds it in was missing. replaced the screw and started it up with the keys. all is now ok. thank god it wasnt anything major. i dont really want to go in to too much detail how i started it up just in case random ppl view our forums to get info on how to steal cars. if you know wat i mean.

i also cleaned up the idle control valve and adjuseted my idling and all is looking good. phew. lol. thanks for all the help ppls.

btw i dont know if you guys remember i was gonna get 550cc injectors and pump. i got it all done and when i took it for tuning, after the second run on they dyno my orignal clutch just died. so i got a new excedy organic clutch from aylin at ASP trading and he sorted me a discount being an .org member. now my car is all set-up how i want it. its running @ 1.35 bar of boost and all the correct mixtures. plus got a knocklink installed from the company i got my scoob tuned. PTS tuning. They do a lot of cosworth builds and projects. so far knock link is green and flickers green at times. only once it has flickered to amber when i was doing 140mph ( was kinda scary coz i never been that fast b4 lol) on the way to bristol and then it went back to green. i tested the knocklink and all the lights seems to be working correctly coz i read ppl have had trouble with knocklinks failing in the past which resulted in their engine going bang.

thank god. i feel so much better.
knocklinks tend to be crap if not calibrated properly