Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

ECU Reset... How many different methods are there???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Oct 2005, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

ECU Reset... How many different methods are there???

I reset my ECU last night using the age old method of removing the negative battery terminal all night.

This made me wonder how many "proven" methods there are???

So what I want is us to post up as many as you have heard of...

Don't be scared to put up anything you have heard, as there is no right or wrong answers (this is not a test and is only meant to be fun).

With help from our resident dot org technical bods, we should be able to see if the methods would work or not. 8)

Cheers in advance for your input,

Rich
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2005, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Mr_Wid
When i do an ecu reset i do the "connecting wires under the steering colomn" technique. Means you can read codes first too to make sure there's noting amiss!

Heres a website which details the how to www.saxonfields.freeserve.co.uk/
Old 01 Nov 2005, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Disconnecting the battery for a decent amount of time certainly allows the ECU to be wiped and reset. Otherwise you can use the 'plugs' method at the base of the steering column. I do believe the later phase Imprezas have other methods of resetting the ECU.
Old 01 Nov 2005, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Sirus
hi
new to subaru,s so its a newbie Q im afraid only had mine for aweek
just wondering why reset the ecu and for what reason
Old 01 Nov 2005, 05:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Hi Sirus,

Hey no probs mate, we were all a newbie once upon a time!!! 8)

Re-setting the ECU (I feel) is an important step for maintaining the performance of the Impreza. The Impreza ECU calculates certain factors to ensure a safe and well performing engine. Say for instance you had a fault or put a bad batch of fuel in the tank, the ECU would re-calculate the timing (fuel, air, spark), boost pressure, etc, etc... to ensure the engine would still run and perform well.

For example...

When I first bought my car, it had been run on 95 Ron and was not as fast as my mates Scooby. The only difference between our cars was that he was using optimax and I was using BP 95 ron unleaded, apart from that they were both standard UK Impreza Turbo's. I soon found out that my car was only boosting at 0.8 bar and apparently the ECU was reducing the boost pressure due to the fact it was running on 95 unleaded and probably had never been reset. My mate at the local Subaru garage reset the ECU and what can I say... WOOOHOOO!!! I soon had 1.0 bar of boost and the 98 Ron optimax fuel I had put in seemed to make a hell of a difference.

I recently had a fault on my ignition coil pack and the engine was running quite bad, so I reset the ECU just in case the engine had tried to compensate and cost me some performance...
Old 01 Nov 2005, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

but what if you have ur ecu mapped would that put it back to its old set-up or just refresh the new mapping thats been done ?
and would it default the rest of the add ons as in (just looking to see what its called )its a profect b spec boost thingy
Old 01 Nov 2005, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

There is some good info here mate...

http://www.ecutek.com/tuning/tuninginfo/
Old 01 Nov 2005, 05:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

thanks for ur help and time
Old 01 Nov 2005, 08:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirus
thanks for ur help and time
That is what this site is about - Let us know how things progress.

All the best
Old 02 Nov 2005, 10:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to BIG GRINDER!
Hi
Disconnect the deg terminal and then press the brake pedal for 30 sec. Reconnect the terminal and your ECU is reset.
Once reset before going to boost hold the revs at 2600rpm. In either 2nd or 3rd gear, accelerate but use your left foot to brake and mentain the revs at 2600rpm. I think this is ment to accelerate the learning curve :? Cant remember the original post but im sure someone will help :ideao:

The Ecu will then learn for the next 200 miles the best settings for your car :wink:
I have found that the idle speed can get a bit low. It did stall once but after the 200 miles your
I reset after every engine mod.

Kev :mbounce:
Old 03 Nov 2005, 07:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Nice one Kev!!!

Any more ways to skin an ECU??? 8)

Don't know if this helps but I found the green and black connectors underneath the dash so I took a pic (sorry it's a bit blurred)...

http://www.rbperformancedesigns.co.u...connectors.gif

They were on the left hand side under the steering colum dash taped to each other with blue tape!!! 8)
Old 04 Nov 2005, 08:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Sponsor
Paid & Proud

if your car has been 'mapped' then you can't wipe this part of its memory............................................ .only the fault codes, knock correction, etc. are cleared so no problem...............

however, be aware that if your car retains a fault after you have wiped its "self learn" memory you can run the risk of damage as it struggles to readjust!!
Old 17 Nov 2005, 02:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Do these tricks work on aftermarket ecu's?Ala GEMS Motec ETC.....
Old 17 Nov 2005, 10:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Sponsor
Paid & Proud

>|<>QBB&l:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfink
Do these tricks work on aftermarket ecu's?Ala GEMS Motec ETC.....
no they don't "read" the same, you would need a laptop and associated software to access them fully.....................

alyn
Old 23 Nov 2005, 02:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Got this off a another site.

ECU Reset - Courtesy of MRT rally

NOTE: This is only applicable to MY93-00 (GCA) models. The later model MY01 (GDA) onwards require the use of a product such as the DeltaDash or similar to reset the ECU. Please see www.ecutek.com.au/delta-dash.htm for more information.

ECU clear memory procedure is as follows for auto and manual transmissions:

With engine at operating temperature, turn engine off. Place gear shift lever into park (auto transmission cars only)
Locate the two ECU check connectors, for most cars they are located under the steering column and consist of a black plastic male and female connector, and a green male female connector. The exact location of the connectors varies with the different year models, but generally they are located under the steering column on the drivers side.
NOTE: sometimes they are still taped over with some small amount of plastic tape, so look hard, they will be there!
With the ignition OFF connect black to black and green to green.
Turn on ignition, do not start the engine, (and for auto transmission, cycle the gearshift lever from park to neutral and back to park ), depress the accelerator pedal to full throttle and hold for a few seconds, and then release.
Start engine and then drive for at least one minute, keeping road speed above 11 Km/h.
ECU is now re-set.
At this point the check engine light should start to flash the all clear signal (steady 1/2 second interval flashes). If the check engine light does not flash, or indicates some other sequence, there is a fault present in the system, and should be professionally checked for necessary repairs.
Once, stop the car and turn off the engine.
Disconnect the plugs.
Job complete.