Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Electrical (Including ICE)

Subaru Impreza Forum

B1650 Code on '12 Base Impreza

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jan 2016, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

B1650 Code on '12 Base Impreza

Took the 2012 base Impreza to dealer as the dash indicated the front passenger air bag was not on even if passenger was in seat. We had the recall for this prob done at this dealership in Sept 2105.

My wife took it as it is her car & was told that if a recall redo was needed no charge but she would have to pay for repairs if a different problem. She was led to believe that she would be told that she would hear what the repairs would run BEFORE they charged her anything. (Thats $120.00 for diagnostic & $10.80 for "Misc Charges!!!!!)
Instead she was presented with a $130.80 bill for the diagnostics, and a $536.00 labor estimate to have the seat base replaced. That does not include the cost of the seat base, still being kept secret by the dealer I guess.

The estimate listed a B1650 code. I wasn't there & she had to pay to get the car back. I went bonkers & am still dealing with the general manager of the shop. Couldn't get the service manager as they had fired him already before this.

Anyone have an idea what this B1650 code is besides bend over & smile?

Also is there a way to get to the Subaru Field Tech if the dealership keeps having fun with us?

Thanks,

DH
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2016, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Re: B1650 Code on '12 Base Impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukizone View Post
Took the 2012 base Impreza to dealer as the dash indicated the front passenger air bag was not on even if passenger was in seat. We had the recall for this prob done at this dealership in Sept 2105.

Anyone have an idea what this B1650 code is besides bend over & smile?

Thanks,

DH
Hi I just googled the code and it has been confirmed faulty front passenger seat, it has been stated on a number of websites that the base plate for the seat can crack causing the air bag warning light to come on.
Old 06 Jan 2016, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by alunian View Post
Hi I just googled the code and it has been confirmed faulty front passenger seat, it has been stated on a number of websites that the base plate for the seat can crack causing the air bag warning light to come on.
Thanks, will at least look at it. Just got blown off by the dealer's general manager as he said, Hey, your wife signed off on the diagnostic, they have her signature and I can basically go blow. He did offer me a credit on our next service. I let him know why would I ever go back since the business model was we gotcha! Next time wife will not be the one taking the car anywhere, they may not have meant to rob her but it was the net result.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

DH
Old 07 Jan 2016, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Why are you even going to a dealer when you can buy a fault code reader for 8, thats already a 112 $ saving !
They are caller stealers not dealers for a reason, as you now know,
Id certainly contact Subaru direct if it`s a known fault, but after that I cant argue with the dealer, why did you pay it if you werent happy.
Old 07 Jan 2016, 05:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
Why are you even going to a dealer when you can buy a fault code reader for 8, thats already a 112 $ saving !
They are caller stealers not dealers for a reason, as you now know,
Id certainly contact Subaru direct if it`s a known fault, but after that I cant argue with the dealer, why did you pay it if you werent happy.
Hey bugeye _bob, thanks for input.

I do have a OBD reader that works on my '03 Forester but not on the '12 Impreza.

There was no expectation of a code as there was no "CHECK ENGINE" light on.

We expected that the recall previously done was not taking well as the symptoms were identical to what was showing just before we got the recall notice.

Since we thought it was a recall, she had to take it to a dealer. In fact, years back, with a '92 Loyale, I had trouble with this dealer trying to screw me. Found a local shop who solved the pinging by "setting the timing to Subaru specs" which the dealer said they checked & said was "spot on" The wanted to charge me over $300.00 to check for carbon buildup on the pistons using a boroscope. I vowed never to go back but as I said had to go as they had done the first recall.

I was not there, I would have clarified that they would automatically charge me for the "diagnosis" & I would have driven away. My wife took in the car and tho they told her of the actual charge it was not so clear that they wouldn't be first coming out to ask if they could procede on her dime. She was pretty surprised when she got a bill. She was there, I wasn't they had the keys to her car and she was in a lot of pain from arthritis & had to get out after a 3 1/2 hout visit in the waiting room and nearly an hour to drive home still.

I am researching this issue, found a lengthy discussion on the "other" Impreza froum with links to NHTSA site where this issue is being reported. I have disconnected the battery to reset the computer to see if the warning light comes back on (it had originally been coming on sporadically). I want to look at seat base for grounded wire, broken seat pan, etc as these were just some of the possibilities raised.

The dealership finally offered to give us a credit for 1/2 the charge on our next visit. I asked the General Manager if he really thought I'd ever come back. I said if he really wanted to do something that was a compromise that he would credit back 1/2 the charge on the credit card. He became insulted and said I was throwing things in his face. They were busy, couldn't keep coming out & talking to customers about every detail, he had to pay his techs, they don't work for free, & after all, SHE SIGNED OFF ON THE TICKET before they started. I told him she never would have signed if she understood how they worked & while I wasn't saying that they tried to trick her, that the end result was the same. I said the staff is used to shuttling clients onto the "conveyor belt" and as long as they take certain steps, they don't take the time to understand if the customer really understands. The conversation ended there. So yes, can't blame them for doing business their way, but tho he got the $131.00 it will end up costing them much more. There are 5 or 6 Subarus in out family alone that will never be customers again. Seems like a pitiful cry on my part but they will be burning up valuable time in dealing with this down the road.

I'd like to find out how to get hold of the Subaru Field Tech. I may not get my money back but I know I can tie up the time of the Manager, the service manager and as much of the staff as possible by forcing them to keep dealing with this until many more hundreds of dollars in time is wasted. I'm retired, my time is free.

Thanks for all advice, any additional input is cheerfully and gratefully accepted.

DH